Possible CNC Purchase

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Dastagg

Possible CNC Purchase

Post by Dastagg »

I have never used a CNC or their software but considering the pro hd version of CNC. Just not sure of the learning curve of the software first. If it is too difficult, maybe I should back off. Typically, I pick up software learning pretty easy but not sure about this kind of software however.

byrank

Re: Possible CNC Purchase

Post by byrank »

I am a newcomer to CNC and this forum. I purchased a used Shark that was not working and it has been a long journey for me. If you buy new I think you will be in much better shape than me. It all depends on how quickly you want results and how patient you are. CNC involves an understanding of software and physical hardware. For me, the software has been the easy part. If you understand programs like Word, Excel, CorelDraw, etc. you will have no problem. Learning vector Vs raster graphics is all part of the fun. If you are a patient person you will be fine. Don't expect it to be easy, but be prepared to learn and don't let that deter you. Trust me, the first time I made a carving I ran around my garage singing! The Shark is well made and their support is good. Once you figure it out, the design options are limitless! My best advice is to start with foam (poly or HD) and keep your finger on the E-Stop (Emergency) button to make sure you don't break anything. Go ahead and jump in - I am glad I did!!

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

And you can test drive the software for free to your heart's content. Go to http://www.vectric.com and download a fully functional (does everything but write out the file that you'd send to the machine) VCarve Pro for free. Vectric has great tutorials that you can download and/or view online as well.

Dastagg

Post by Dastagg »

Thanks, i think i may try the software first. I generally learn software easy, and stuff like Photoshop, but does take a bit of patience. Thanks all.