File Handling

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jefritz

File Handling

Post by jefritz »

I've had my Pro-Plus extended for about a month now, and am enjoying it immensely. I am turning out trial projects and going over tutorials and videos again and again.

I have V-Carve Pro 6 and I'm having trouble handling files. I've downloaded sample files ( e.g. - folding frame project, current) as
crv files. I try to save the toolpaths to my Shark Pro-Plus , they get saved in a sample files folder, but there is a lock on the file and I can't access it (them). Same is true for other files I've tried to save ---- still get locked out. Message appears that I can't save changes to the files because I have not deleted original files. What am I missing ?????

:?: Any help in the right direction would be appreciated ----- John

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: File Handling

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi John,

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you "save the toolpaths to my Shark Pro Plus". My intuition is that you are working on the computer that your Shark Control Box is plugged into, and your file system "sees" the SD card in the Control Box.

You should never save a tap or other file to that SD card. The SD card in the Control Box is there for the Shark Basic Panel to send the tap file to the Control Box, and the Control Box uses this SD card for temporary storage and volatile memory to "do its job.".

It sounds like you are trying to save the tap file directly to the SD card from VCarve Pro. The workflow is to create your project in VCarve - this project file is a *.crv file - which you want to save as it has all the design components of your project; from VCarve Pro generate the toolpaths - these result in a *.tap file; start the Shark Basic Panel and load g code - load the tap file.

You should save the tap files to a known location on your computer disk, not the SD card on the Control Box.

Some posts on this are: http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=608 and http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=349

If you're not trying to write these files to the SD card on the Shark Control Box, please say so and I'll make another guess - or someone else may have an idea as well.

jefritz

Re: File Handling

Post by jefritz »

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I'm back on track and got rid of my mental block, with your help. Creativity is back and sawdust is once more flying. Thanks again ----- John -- in Bobcaygeon, Ont.