CNC Machine Opinions, Thanks In Advance

How are other systems alike/different from the Shark?

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Stoner

CNC Machine Opinions, Thanks In Advance

Post by Stoner »

I have been working with wood for a number of years and thought I would like to get into wood carving. I know I do not have the talent of wood carving by hand. I have been looking at CNC for awhile. Can you give me an honest opinion the CNC Shark. I was wondering how detail the finish carving really is; I have looked at many-many photos of the end products from the CNC Shark machines. They do look good, but how good are they really? I was looking at a carving of entire body of a man, the face was not detailed at all. I have looked at the carvings of flowers and they were very detailed. I would be using the CNC machine to put carvings on turkey calls. I would be carving mostly wildlife and plants. I probably would also try the photocarve. What are your thoughts. Thanks.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: CNC Machine Opinions, Thanks In Advance

Post by jeb2cav »

As you've sensed, just because the carved face you found wasn't detailed at all doesn't mean that the CNC machine couldn't have done it. Hopefully you've had a chance to see the lithographs and some other samples in the showcase that provide you a sense of what the Shark can do. A fine level of control is required to get the lithograph to work this well - and it is easiest to sense by looking at these.

In the end, I've found what I send to the machine to carve is what I get. I may have to use a 1/16" cutter to get the level of detail I want, but in the end the outcome is determined by how I used the software and setup the toolpath(s). The good news in this regard is that you can download fully functional trial versions of VCarve Pro and/or Aspire (if you're thinking about upgrading software) and see if you can design the things you mention below. There are a number of downloadable and on-line tutorials for the software as well. And in all the years I've been using software and trying to learn how via a given set of training materials - the VCarve and Aspire tutorials are the first I've found that are worth the time it takes to watch them, then watch them again while following along in VCarve/Aspire, then seeing if I can duplicate it. So, with a few hours of tutorials on free trial fully functional software, you should have a good sense of 'can I do this'.

You may have seen several posts validating this trial software/tutorial/making things within 24 hours or receiving the Shark. My experience has been that what I see in VCarve/Aspire preview window is what I will get.

With regard to Shark model - if you don't have a need for a table size larger than the Shark - you describe carving on turkey calls and some lithographs - then I think you'll find that the Shark is fine. I've seen several posts about it have a great tolerance, low flex, etc. I started out with a ProPlus and found it quite satisfactory. You will find posts over time from different folks talking about tolerance issues, etc. I agree that there is some reality in these. At the same token, I found that the tolerances I was dealing with were less than 1/64", and for me it didn't matter at that point. If you're wanting the Pro/ProPlus table size, then I'd just find the $200 difference in price and go with the HD (which is what I've moved to 'just because').

I and some others have longer posts on this topic on our opinion and assessment of value for the cost and our individual requirements. Hope this helps.

Stoner

Re: CNC Machine Opinions, Thanks In Advance

Post by Stoner »

Joe thank you for the through analysis and your time to respond.You made some very good points about the software setup before you send it to the cnc machine. I am leaning towards the Shark, but I have to do my due diligence before taking the next step. Thanks again.