New Rockler 60th Anniversary Edition Shark

How are other systems alike/different from the Shark?

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Tim Owens

Re: New Rockler 60th Anniversary Edition Shark

Post by Tim Owens »

Yes we will have an upgrade in a couple of months to make it the same of the Anniversary version but with a brush aluminum top rather then the cooper color.

Tonyk

Post by Tonyk »

What are my options if I want to make my Shark HD 2.0 gantry more rigid

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Tim Owens wrote:Yes we will have an upgrade in a couple of months to make it the same of the Anniversary version but with a brush aluminum top rather then the cooper color.
That's terrific news Tim. I'll be watching for this upgrade.

Chop

Post by Chop »

Tim Owens wrote:Yes there are several changes. There is the New interlocking table design. Rockler picture was taken last June when it wasn't available. I will let them know to update the picture.
besides all of the extras with this machine we have add more aluminum to the machine overall. The changes are for our new 2hp liquid spindle and we are actually machining a lot of aluminum with these machines.
The gantry back is solid aluminum. The cradle is now detachable and had a aluminum back plate on it for other attachments or for easily turning the router around in 90 deg increments. The new interlocking top are the big changes with this version.
I am looking at buying the anniversary edition now but down the road have a interest in making some aluminum parts later,you mentioned a 2hp liquid spindle becoming available, if I buy a anniversary model today, does it have this spindle option if so what is the cost and availability for the upgrade ?

Thanks, Chop

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

I called and was told that the upgrade will be available in the Spring but didn't wish to wait that long.

Anyway, the first thing is to replace the backplate. This is the top pate where the Shark Logo decal resides. I used 3/4" aluminum held with pan-head machine screws rather than flat head. The machine is really structurally sound after this modification. The aluminum plate that I used was 8" tall and I left it at that height as it doesn't hurt to have it taller. I also left an extra inch on each end just in case I wish to later add some 90 degree angle supports on the ends. The extra length does not create any problems.

There are 9 screw holes to drill and none are threaded.

The material cost was $85 for a piece that was 48" X 8" X 3/4" extrusion. I didn't spend a lot of time shopping around so maybe you can find a piece for less.

Next I wish to replace the deck. I see some other people have done this. Does anyone have an approximation for the material cost?

Ed
Attachments
Alum Top.jpg

studio-n

Post by studio-n »

ejcasey3 wrote:Tim,
So given the new Rockler, can we expect a new NWA HD 3 this Fall? Looks like significant improvements over the HD 2.
Any word on the 4th axis?
Thanks.
Ed
I think you can expect a promise of a new NWA HD3. Like the 4th axis it will actually be available when the temperature in hell drops below 32 degrees.
It's been promised since 2012.
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

cws wrote:To new top is availible from nvw in aluminum color for $300. Has anyone mounted a water cooled spindle to the shark pro plus.
Thanks
Curt
Today's price is $400. I'll have to think about this deck upgrade for that price.