Advice on where to start!

How are other systems alike/different from the Shark?

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

eric

Advice on where to start!

Post by eric »

Hi Gentlemen,

I want to start by saying thank you for allowing me into your world here! I am looking for some advice. I want to purchase a CNC Shark Pro but am still building funds for this. In the mean time I was thinking of getting a wood iron piece developed with my logo. Do you know where I can find someone that can do this for a 4" Diameter design? If you can point me in the right direction I would be extremely greatful... Also, is there a place where I could find a used CNC Shark Pro and is that recommended? One more question, what's the learning curve on the machine? How long does it take to get the software down before you start producing cool designs?

Thanks,
Eric

Phil B

Re: Advice on where to start!

Post by Phil B »

I’m not certain what you mean by “wood iron” unless it’s a custom branding iron you are talking about. If that is what you are after, perhaps others will chime in on a source. However, if you are looking at getting into cnc, you could probably engrave your logo directly into some component or a “coin” that is inserted into the product.

The machines themselves are not particularly hard to learn. The techniques are a little tougher but still pretty manageable, you just have to let loose of some hand operated router techniques.

Learning CAD and CAM software is probably where the steepest learning curves are. What you want to accomplish with the machine will and any previous experience will dictate how much effort you’ll need to put in on these products to get up to speed.

If you are doing some pretty easy 2d stuff, you might not need to touch CAD software often. Vetric CAM software has a fairly easy learning curve, you can do a lot just with it.

PMB
http://benchmark.20m.com

SWAMPRAT

Post by SWAMPRAT »

eric wrote:Hi Gentlemen,
Also, is there a place where I could find a used CNC Shark Pro and is that recommended?

Eric

I BOUGHT THE SHARK PRO LAST FEB./ MARCH GOT IT ASSEMBLED, JUST STARTED TO WORK ON OPERATING IT------ THEN A STROKE. -------MOST ALL FUNCTIONS BACK PRETTY GOOD EXCEPT FINGERS ON LEFT HAND. JUST NOW STARTING TO GET BACK AT IT. ME NOW ONE HAND TYPING . SO USE ALL CAPS--EASIER---. GOING TO SEE HOW IT GOES, HOPEFULLY IF I DON'T HAVE TO DO TOOOOO MUCH TYPING ETC. I CAN OPERATE OK .. IF NOT I WOULD BE IN THE SELL MODE IN A MONTH OR TWO.

WHERE U AT ?

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

Swamp Rat,

A bit OT, but my daughter has Cerebral Palsy, and has issues with fine motor skills such as typing. She uses Dragon Dictate for speech to text on her computer. She can use messenger, chat rooms, even control basic comp functions with it. For around $100.00, well worth the cost.

Ralph