shark versus shopbot

How are other systems alike/different from the Shark?

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

koryak

Re: shark versus shopbot

Post by koryak »

Shopbot makes it clear that they can ship a unit with a probe that eliminates the need for fiddling around with software. Their (desktop unit) customers do a 3D probe, and wind up with a file that will then run the machine to make cnc carvings of the probed item.

Their literature and presentation (web site) are far superior to cnc sharkpro's which doesn't make anything clear to the anti-techie.

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

Shopbot is using the same software as we are so the procedure is the same.
However I do take your point on the website and we are addressing it.
Just been really busy around here but thanks for that input and any suggestions you have you can email directly to me if you would like.

Thanks again

Tim

RhB_HJ

Post by RhB_HJ »

mark grant wrote:.................
Can the shark handle the volute in the curl on the front and back, I don't know but would love to hear if it can. Thanks to all, Mark.
Hi Mark,

The question could be ;) : would the mfg cut a test piece to demonstrate the capability? :) There's no better proof than seeing it done to one's specs.
Cheers

HJ
_______
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

tswoodshop

Post by tswoodshop »

I’ve looked into the differences between the Shopbot tabletop model they just came out with, and the Shark Pro. I think spinningwood’s post above is pretty much right on the money. Whether that extra $1200 you pay for the Shopbot over the Shark Pro is worth it or not depends on what you want to do with the machine. Like a lot of “toys” in my shop, that is usually the deciding factor. Example, I upgraded to a large standard 15 inch planer because the amount of wood I run through it would have burned up the Delta 12 inch benchtop I was using to that point. Likewise, after reading up on things, I came to the conclusion that the Shopbot desktop was designed to be used in more of an industrial/ working shop setting than a hobby type shop where somebody will use it on weekends once in a while. The Shopbot components were designed to be used in a more aggressive work environment. The Shopbot is also faster, although that might not matter to the hobbyist. The Shopbot takes a bigger Porter Cable router, which again makes faster smoother cutting, and which again might not matter to the hobbyist that has all day. They both have the same Vcarve software, but from listening to owners of both, apparently the Shopbot system software integrates with the Vcarve software much better than the Shark software does, the Shopbot software is more seamless. The one place Shopbot truly shines, and is the envy of just about anybody else in the CNC world, is support. Among other things, they have an active forum where you can find info to questions so you don’t have to reinvent the wheel. Of course this forum, although only a fraction the size of Shopbot’s, is also is a great place to get info if you run into a problem. The bottom line is will you want to be making widgits on your CNC to sell at shows? Making custom signs every week on a regular basis as part of a small business? Is speed and a little more power something that would bring you down if your CNC didn’t have it? Get the Shopbot desktop and don’t look back. Do you have a day job and mainly putz around in your shop on weekends making one of a kind projects? Would the slower speed of the Shark not bother you since you have all day to “play” in your shop and time was not necessarily money as it would be in a working shop? Save yourself $1200 and get the Shark.

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

Mark,

The probe is perfectly capable of scanning in the parts and the volute.

Carving both sides of the volute (providing the Z-axis will accept it) is not a problem, the trick would be locating it accurately to cut both sides as separate operations. It can be done, but requires thought. I would build a fixture and use the machine to mill any locating faces from a marked zero point on the fixture.

I'd be happy to help you figure this out if you buy the Shark system, feel free to contact me and we can talk.

Ralph