Bob's Super Simple 4th Axis

Share your Shark projects with other forum members!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Forum rules
Do not post any files that violate copyright or licensing guidelines. Any post violating this rule will be deleted and the member may be banned from future use of cncsharktalk.
tonydude

Re: Bob's Super Simple 4th Axis

Post by tonydude »

Bob,

Thank you very much, really appreciate it. Will let you know how it goes. Planned on doing it next week.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

Bob

Post by Bob »

You're all welcome.
Have fun, and post results.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Buc

Post by Buc »

Bob,

Great idea. Thanks for posting.

Buc
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

CountryWoodCrafts

Post by CountryWoodCrafts »

Where might you have found the 3/32 end mill bit?

Bob

Post by Bob »

I got one from a friend. I don't know his source. It was made by Onsrud no: RBL-22613.
Bob
"Focus"

CountryWoodCrafts

Post by CountryWoodCrafts »

Thanks. . .looking it up now. . .

Bob

Post by Bob »

Bob wrote:I got one from a friend. I don't know his source. It was made by Onsrud no: RBL-22613.
Bob
I just found one more set of numbers on it: 876740...I'm getting new glasses.
"Focus"

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Pssst..... I could have done that ! NO.... all kidding aside that is truly ingenious!!!!!! And trust me I am extremely hard to impress. That is an awesome design job and well executed. I can hardly wait to try it. I don't think I could have come up with that in 10 years of thinking. Well maybe in three years if I tried really hard. Thanks Bob for sharing this concept and the files with us. I just got enthused about 4th axis :) You may get the "Shark Bite" of the year award for taking a bite out of the difficulty of a task. :lol:

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

BobA

Post by BobA »

Bob,

You must have been an engineer and a good one at that. You really impress me with all of your creativity
with your projects and now this.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Bob

Bob

Post by Bob »

Remember...New technique, new problems to solve.
1. Depending upon the diameter of your workpiece, you will need to make your drawing wider on the Y axis. Your gear circumference is usually greater that that of your workpiece. You need to determine the ratio, then adjust the Y size of your work accordingly. Example...I needed to stretch the width of the old man's face to almost twice as wide in order to have it look right in the carving. He looked pretty fat in the preview though.
2. Watch the depth of cut. Don't be agressive .05 at a time is ok. Also, if the final depth is too deep the carving gets distorted.
3. Since there is one gear converting linear to rotational movement, everything on the Y axis is reversed. Just reverse your drawing or text before creating toolpaths.
4. X and Z travel remains the same. But, the depth of Z seems to have a greater impact on the outcome with the 4th axis.
5. When doing facing cuts to clean up the surface, select raster and cut with the grain. You will get a cleaner cut.
6. I have also been running the engraving toolpaths a second time to clean up any fuzz.
7. When connecting the pinion gears to the ends of the work piece, I drill 1/4" center holes first in the work piece ends, about 1/4" deep. Then insert an axle through the gear into the center hole. This holds the gear in place while using a couple of screws to attach the gear. Then place the axle and gear on the other end, but don't attach with screws yet. Instead, place the assembly onto the rack gears and roll the assembly against the ends of the support arms until the axles contact the ends of the arms. This holds the assembly in alignment while attaching the second gear. Then remove the axles, roll the workpiece between the support arms, and re-insert and tighten the axles.
8. If you remove and replace the assembly from the rack gear, be careful to register it against the ends of the support arms again before rolling it back into the arms and inserting the axles..
9. And, you are using up a lot of your Z travel with this technique. Just be aware of that, and plan accordingly.

This might sound complicated, but if you think it through, it makes sense.
Also, after you've tried it, it's a lot easier.

Bob
Last edited by Bob on Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Focus"