Wood Clamps. My Design.

Share your Shark projects with other forum members!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Forum rules
Do not post any files that violate copyright or licensing guidelines. Any post violating this rule will be deleted and the member may be banned from future use of cncsharktalk.
4DThinker

Re: Wood Clamps. My Design.

Post by 4DThinker »

Those long rabbet clamps are a great idea, Karen. Thanks for posting photos. I made a simple L shaped bracket for the college Shark, to use when students had several of the same sized boards to cut. Your clamps have the added advantage of holding down across an entire edge. I'm going to be stealing that idea as we often encounter boards that won't lay flat but need to be held flat to CNC.

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

Steal all you want... just don't include an *ouch*.
:mrgreen:
Karen

maxxxpower1000

Post by maxxxpower1000 »

I have to say, both sets of clamps came out nice and both sets of clamps are a good idea. I just put up a post in the set up section looking to replace my rockler clamps. These will do nicely!

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Glad I could help, Max. I have a feeling Karen feels the same. If you make your own, post a photo here. Also, feel free to improve on my design as you see fit.

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

Absolutely!
I've gleaned so many good ideas and solutions here that I'm glad someone finds something of mine useful.
Ouches and all. :mrgreen:
Karen

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

4d, curious. What is the hole in the end of the clamp for? Wood dowel for more glue surface, glue pocket, or what? Love the design and cutting them as I type. Keith
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Keith Hodges wrote:4d, curious. What is the hole in the end of the clamp for? Wood dowel for more glue surface, glue pocket, or what? Love the design and cutting them as I type. Keith
Good question. I put that hole there so I could insert a 3/8" dowel to help align the halves when gluing them up. First one I made without the hole/dowel slipped in the clamps and I didn't notice until the glue was dry.

4D

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

OK, thanks. Was kinda thinking along those lines, just failed to add it to my questions. Anyway, they turned out nice. Gotta get some more T bolts and knobs, and I'll have all the clamps I need. The again, you can never have enough clamps, so may need to make some more. Anyway, thanks. Keith
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

Karen, I like your clamps. I need to make me something along those lines. I have been using screws but last week I replaced my spoil board on the pro and then added more to it to stiffen it up. I put a couple of aluminum tracks down in it to start using some clamps again but soon found out that I got carried away and the carriage wouldn't clear the back clamps at their new height. Something along the lines of what you are using should work out good for my needs.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Just thought I'd mention that Rocker's track also work with 1/4" hex bolts, and if the plastic handles and 5/16" toilet bolt are too high for for a job then a shorter hex bolt using a 1/4" nut and washer are easy to find and cheaper than the toilet bolts are. I had plenty in my nuts and bolts collection, as well as a simple spare wrench to keep near the CNC for tightening them down.

The clamps work as is, or you can make a version with the slot just a little over 1/4" wide when glued together. 1/4" t-track is also pretty common, and if you have any more of it in use in your shop these clamps will come in handy there as well.