Router mounting bracket cracked, please help!

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

craftyguy

Router mounting bracket cracked, please help!

Post by craftyguy »

Hi, new user here. I hope I’m in the right place!

This morning my CNC Shark HD 2.0 suffered a major failure. The plastic bracket holding the router in place cracked in half! See attached pics.
Any suggestions on the fastest way to get this part replaced? I left a voice message on the Next Wave support line, and I submitted the contact form on the website.

I’m in the middle of a time-sensitive project so hopefully I can resolve this soon.

Thanks for your help!

PS. In the time I typed this message I got an auto reply that my request has been received and is being reviewed. That was fast. Hopefully I get a call soon.
Broken bracket still on machine
Broken bracket still on machine
Bracket by itself
Bracket by itself

craftyguy

Re: Router mounting bracket cracked, please help!

Post by craftyguy »

Already got a reply that they can ship out the part today. Just need to clarify my model for them. So far so good!!

Kevink18

Post by Kevink18 »

Go with the aluminum clamp from dixie billet I got one and love it

craftyguy

Post by craftyguy »

Kevink18 wrote:Go with the aluminum clamp from dixie billet I got one and love it
Kevin18 great info, thank you very much. I'm going to look into it. I still want an authentic replacement from NWA but if there's an aluminum equivalent available, I will get it too.

craftyguy

Post by craftyguy »

Good news! They are shipping out the part today! They gave me the option for free UPS ground, or to pay for next day air. I opted for next day since time is of the essence with this project.

I'm impressed with the fast customer service. I was really nervous a few hours ago that my important project would get thrown off track. But if the part really arrives tomorrow, the lost day and a half will be manageable.

It's unfortunate I had to introduce myself to the group in near-panic mode. I look forward to exploring more of the forum and participating.

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

A common problem with the plastic clamp, and the Dixie Billet clamp I had. The four holes fit real tight against the bolts. That means, the only way to clamp the router is to really wrench down on the front clamp. This was true of the plastic and the Dixie clamps. Here is my fix.

On the front two holes, drill them out 1/32". Leave the back two alone. Place the clamp on the Z Axis mount, snug down the back two bolts. Place the router in the clamp. Snug the front bolt down which now, should wrap itself around the whole router. As, it has the -freedom- to do that. Once that is secure, snug down the front two bolts.
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

John Shaw

Post by John Shaw »

McBuster's method makes a lot of sense!!
(It's obvious once it's explained)
Thanks
It's on my to do list.

dmyers

Post by dmyers »

My clamp on my Shark broke also. I called NWA and my machine was out of warranty by 2 weeks but the sent me a new clamp free of charge.
The new clamp is wider in the front and the 2 front holes are elongated. I used it for about a week before I purchased a clamp from Dixie Billet.
I was also impressed by NWA timely response. If I were you I'd order a clamp from Dixie Billet and eliminate future problems with your clamp.

craftyguy

Post by craftyguy »

One day later, replacement part arrived via next-day air! Good, fast customer service - thank you very much! :D
IMG_2682s.jpg

craftyguy

Post by craftyguy »

McBuster wrote:A common problem with the plastic clamp, and the Dixie Billet clamp I had. The four holes fit real tight against the bolts. That means, the only way to clamp the router is to really wrench down on the front clamp. This was true of the plastic and the Dixie clamps. Here is my fix.

On the front two holes, drill them out 1/32". Leave the back two alone. Place the clamp on the Z Axis mount, snug down the back two bolts. Place the router in the clamp. Snug the front bolt down which now, should wrap itself around the whole router. As, it has the -freedom- to do that. Once that is secure, snug down the front two bolts.
McBuster thank you very much for that excellent advice. I remember having some trouble putting the whole assembly back together when I added the official dust boot (that's a whole other discussion). I will definitely pull up your method if I run into trouble this time!!

Regarding the aluminum clamps from Dixie Billets. Sent an email inquiry and got a quick reply. They are in the process of moving their shop but should have some ready to ship in about 2-3 weeks, for $65 plus shipping. I'm definitely ordering one. Thanks guys for the advice on that one.

Just want to say the fast help from NWA with replacing the broken part, coupled with the friendly advice I'm getting on the forum -- it makes me glad I chose to go with the CNC Shark. I saw a demo of the Piranha at Rockler in Pasadena, California, and got a good feeling for the company and its products, but really didn't now much beyond that.

I still have a few issues to work out with this device, but at least the experience with the broken part has given me confidence there is a sympathetic community here willing to help out. Thank you!