Over Heating

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Spy

Over Heating

Post by Spy »

I have a CNC Shark HD and was wondering if any of you ever have any concerns about the machine overheating when doing a project that takes 3 or more hours? Mine seems to get hot but I have not have any problems yet.

Kevink18

Re: Over Heating

Post by Kevink18 »

I have done 13 hour cuts never had a problem. Motors and controller get hot no mater outside temp. If it is 95 or above I just use a box fan and blow on machine.

Spy

Post by Spy »

Kevin - Thanks for the reply. I haven't had any problems, but was worried because the motor seems to get pretty hot. I guess if you can do a 13 hour project, I shouldn't have to worry about a 3 - 4 hour project.

MQUICK

Post by MQUICK »

First thing I found out after my first cut, the servo motors were very hot. In my world, heat kills. So I set up a water cooling system for the motors. I got water cooled heat sinks and clamped 2 on each motor. I have a water cooled spindle and did not want to use its pump for cooling. I got another pump and it runs just for the motor cooling. They never get warmer than room temp now. The motors may be able to take the heat but I did not want to chance it. I also make some long cuts. just nice knowing they are not cooking.

Bob

Post by Bob »

Would you please post an address for your heat sink source, and which ones you used?
Thanks,
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

MQUICK

Post by MQUICK »

I got them off EBAY. I used the router to drill and cut the 1/8" aluminum plates that clamp the heat sinks on each side of the motors and used #8 screws with nylon insert lock nuts to clamp them together. I did not use any heat sink paste. Just snug the screws enough to stay put and not damage the heat sinks. I used clear tubing and no clamps were needed on the push on fittings on the heat sinks. Pump is in a 5 gal bucket.
If I knew how to post a pic I would post photos.
This should be the same site.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400763781920?_t ... 1336773249

RobertD

Post by RobertD »

Spy

I had the same problem worrying about heat in the stepper motors. My steppers were reaching 130 degrees plus at times so I did the following. I attached computer fan motors (4) so that they would force air across the surface of the motors. I have cut / carved several projects and my temps stay in the high 80 to mid 90 degrees. I have attached a photo should you need more info let me know. Sorry for not seeing this sooner, I hope this helps. The best part of this was the cost $0.00 dollars as I used salvaged parts.

Bob
IMG_0638 (3).JPG

Bob

Post by Bob »

Bob
Thanks for the post.
What is the power source for the motors?
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

Interesting! I have noticed hot stepper motors even on a cool day in Florida. I have been running the machine for over three years now even on hot days in Florida. Nothing but a fan in my shop. The good news is I haven't had any problems with the motors, controller or Dell XPS laptop I run the machine with. Guess I'm lucky. I agree heat could be an issue.

Thanks for posting the issue.

Have a great day!

..... Rod

RobertD

Post by RobertD »

DSCF0010.JPG
DSCF0007.JPG
Bob

I used a 12 volt 120 m amp power supply. I think it was from an old telephone unit for the house. It runs 4 computer fans with no problems. I may install a switch so that I can turn the fans off without having to shut off the power bar.

Pictures attached.

Bob