Fluting & Text Depth

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

kguarnotta

Fluting & Text Depth

Post by kguarnotta »

Hi guys,

I've had my machine for a bit over a year. I have been more than a bit frustrated with it - and some of it was due to a problem with a brand new router, but some it it is related to the machine not doing the same thing twice.
Currently I'm trying to make a part for my son's balance bike. The bike is made of wood - the original broke, so I thought I'd make him a new one. As I could customize it, I wanted to engrave his name in the plywood, and add some decorations. I am trying to create a 'badge' type effect with his name in the middle. I am using one of the clipart badges, and then putting his name int he middle. I did a test run on a small piece of wood - using a 90 degree .25" router bit. It worked great, and looked great. Now when I try it again, the router seems to go a lot deeper, and the light engraving looks super clunky and hard to read. It looks like it goes 1/4" deeper at least. I have tried this so many different ways. I have set the flute depth to .0625. It worked fine initially. As the subsequent efforts came out poorly, I tried to reduce the depth of the flute to .0325. That seemed to make it worse.

Am I not understanding something?

Also is there a way to control the depth that letters are carved?

Any tips on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

4DThinker

Re: Fluting & Text Depth

Post by 4DThinker »

Vcarving text with a v-bit the bit goes deeper when the lines are farther apart and shallower when they are close together. You can set a flat depth to limit how deep the wide areas are though.

Bob

Post by Bob »

kguarnotta
Would you post your crv file?
and a picture or the actual carve?
It helps me when I can see what you are talking about.
Thanks,
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

kguarnotta

Post by kguarnotta »

Hi Bob,

Here is a picture of the cutting that happened. Sorry I have lost track of the crv files...but I think this illustrates the problem.
Attachments
IMG_20150430_155628128.jpg

Bob

Post by Bob »

How are you using a flute depth for this project?
Are you using the V-Carve engraving toolpath?
Are you changing the start depth to different values?
"Focus"

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

Or are you inadvertently running more than one toolpath in that upper carve?
The reason I ask is because I see an outline of the lettering plus a v-carve of the lettering.

And maybe this is something I haven't yet discovered but is there a reason you'd use a fluting toolpath for text?
Karen

kguarnotta

Post by kguarnotta »

Thanks for your interest - and help.
The way I am using flute depth - I select the outline, select fluting. I then select my carving tool - 90 degree .5", Start Depth is always 0, flute depth I have tried .0625 and been successful, then on follow up - it carves too deep, so I change this to .0325.

Flute type - I have ramp at start and end with ramp length set to 0, as I don't want any ramping.

As for text - I am using the V-Carve-Engraving tool path. Same tool bit, start depth zero, flat depth is left blank(to default?)

Maybe some more info on my setup would help? I have a computer in my office - where I generally do the drawings, as it is a more comfortable place to work, with a larger screen etc. I then go out to my shop - where I have a laptop hooked up to the CNC machine. I load the files, and run it from there. If I decide to tweak things, I use VCARVE pro on my laptop. Could the definition of the tool make a difference? I believe I am using the default tool definition.

Sorry for the confusion - I am not using the fluting tool path for the text, but I am having the same issue. (ie Tool is going too deep).

kguarnotta

Post by kguarnotta »

As I think about this - and type it, and answer your question - I am beginning to question the tool definition? Perhaps I have a slightly different tool definition on my laptop compared to my desktop?

When I read the Tool definitions - I see the name, tool type, notes etc.

Could someone confirm that I am understanding the following correctly -
Pass Depth - max depth a tool will go on a single pass. If this is set to .25, and I ask it to cut .35 deep, it will take two passes. What if I only ask it to cut .125 deep, can it do that?

final pass stepover - not sure what this means?
Clearance Pass Stepover - not sure what this means?
Spindle Speed - this is the speed I set the router at.
Feed Rate - this is how fast the bit should move across the workpiece. This should be slowed down for harder woods? It seems like the default is 100.
Plunge rate - this is how fast the bit should plunge into the material - default is 30.
Tool number - this is if I had a fancier machine that could change tools automatically

The *.tap file that I create includes different toolpaths but always the same tool. Ie fluting and engraving - both done with the same tool bit.

Bob

Post by Bob »

It would really help me to see your crv file.
Thanks
"Focus"

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

kguarnotta wrote: Could someone confirm that I am understanding the following correctly -
Pass Depth - max depth a tool will go on a single pass. If this is set to .25, and I ask it to cut .35 deep, it will take two passes. Correct What if I only ask it to cut .125 deep, can it do that? If you're asking this question in relation to the tool database, I suppose you can reset the depth there but personally I'd do it in the toolpath window with either 'flat depth' or 'flute depth'.

final pass stepover - not sure what this means? Simply means the amount the bit steps over to the next run. The greater the number, the quicker the job but you'll have a carve with ridges in it. To get a really smooth carve (and I'm thinking stepover in relation to 3D finish pass) decrease the stepover number for a smoother finish.
Clearance Pass Stepover - not sure what this means? Basically the same thing - the stepover just refers to the distance the bit moves over for the next pass
Spindle Speed - this is the speed I set the router at. ;)
Feed Rate - this is how fast the bit should move across the workpiece. This should be slowed down for harder woods? It seems like the default is 100. I always slow the feed down for cherry, walnut and maple but I do it with the FRO (Feed Rate Override) Much smoother cut and no strain on any part of the machine. Personal preference - others may not slow down for hardwoods.
Plunge rate - this is how fast the bit should plunge into the material - default is 30. Again, personal preference but yes, I lower the plunge for hardwoods
But nodding my head to Bob's request for the .crv file. We can only guess at certain things without seeing that.
Karen