Used black diamond value?

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

protoguy

Used black diamond value?

Post by protoguy »

So i'm looking at buying a used Shark Black Diamond.
Comes with Porter Cable 892 router, laptop (~9 years old) with software loaded. touch plate, clamps, touch probe, couple end mills.
Everything has less than 40hrs on it.

What would you think something like this is worth?

cjablonski

Re: Used black diamond value?

Post by cjablonski »

What year was the unit made? Have to take its depreciation into account for sure. Additionally, have you seen the unit run?
"I'm not smart, I just remain on problems longer"
Albert Einstein

Making many BTU by experimentation. ...some days it gets too warm :)

Rando

Post by Rando »

At 9 years old, I'd offer him $100, and $150 max. If you pay $300, you're getting ripped off. Quality of the machines 9 years ago was lower, the laptop is worth probably $20, and the Vectric software is possibly so out of date that updating to current likely costs nearly as much as new, and the router is probably not worth more than $10. Think about how much a pawn shop or Craig's List will yield: typically 5-15% of the original purchase price, from what I've seen. Heck, it's entirely possible a pawn shop wouldn't want it, since they couldn't explain it well enough to sell it.
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

NextWave hasn't been making CNCs for 9 years as far as I can tell. Diamonds were a single year special edition with diamond plate panels instead of flat aluminum. So I'd guess it at most is 3 years old.. The earliest models came with MDF beds, a two-part controller/power supply, and could only support trim routers.

Not that I know how much a used one is worth though. If it runs, I'd offer half what it cost originally which was probably $3,999. If it is beaten up/scarred/etc.. then offer less. You'll have a machine that would cost $3999 and only do the same things. Throw in a little money to update the VCarve license to latest version once you get good at using the one it comes with.

protoguy

Post by protoguy »

The CNC was purchased new from Rockler in 2012 along with the Porter Cable router. The unit came with touch plate (ver 2.0), the probe (never used), the vectric software (don't recall version) and the 9yr old Inspiron laptop. There's not a knick on the machine and it runs perfect

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

Think on a price at 65 cents on the dollar.
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

protoguy wrote:The CNC was purchased new from Rockler in 2012 along with the Porter Cable router. The unit came with touch plate (ver 2.0), the probe (never used), the vectric software (don't recall version) and the 9yr old Inspiron laptop. There's not a knick on the machine and it runs perfect
Ok, that considered, time to review the facts. Obviously I would assume your looking for value being the purchaser. There are several key negotiation tactics that bode well for you considering key factors. Some are as follows;

Iterations of models since it's release - there surprisingly have been many. If thinking of it in terms of say, a used car, it's depreciation can be viewed significantly since many "newer" models have, and continue to be, designed and released since the production of that model. More on the way will continue to drive down its cost. With another one on the way in the fall (piranha with laser and 3d printing capabilities ) this should help lower the initial investment.

Age of software- I know that my machine was from the exact same year, and that I can download up to version 7.5 of vcarve. It seems to be the maximum before having to purchase a new iteration, being version 8, which will cost several hundred dollars to do. I haven't pulled that trigger as I do not see the benefit for it personally, but it is another potential bargaining chip in your favor.

Software licensing- This is the tricky part- they have specific restrictions about the software as it has been bundled with the machine. Go to vectric.com and look up "Software license originally bundled with a machine tool". Paragraph 2 within that is the tricky part. My interpretation of paragraph 2 is if it's been upgraded since the original purchase, the new owner may need to purchase a new version of the software. That gets pricey.......fast.

Size of potential market - since this targets a specific demographic of people ( hobbyist, small production runs for a business, mainly wood and small acrylics ) is appeal to the general population is fairly limited. Not many people+ it's high initial cost= limited opportunity for the seller to sell it. Sounds great from both sides, meaning a seller has something very few have, but this tips almost always in the buyers favor, as few have an interest in purchasing. The opportunities are far and few between to sell it. Advantage -buyer. Simply put, " if you don't buy it, it will be a long time before someone else might". That could be huge, especially if the seller is motivated.

That all said (apologies for being long winded, can't help myself sometimes :D ) and all the information laid out above here is how I would perceive it to be, with risk;

Starting point new-4k. Several Iterations passed plus 3 yrs depreciation easily should equate to 750-1000 dollars in reduction . Leaves..
3k.-assuming all risk on software (potential new purchase required = 750 minimum ) leaves...
2250k- size of potential market being limited -leverage in negotiations should get at least 250 leaves...
2k. Potential motivated seller worth (to me) 500 at the high end, 250 at the low which finally equals a range of..
$1500-$1750.

As Forrest Gump said," that's all I gotta say 'bout that". ;)
"I'm not smart, I just remain on problems longer"
Albert Einstein

Making many BTU by experimentation. ...some days it gets too warm :)