Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Shark at the International Woodworking Fair

Post by jeb2cav »

4DThinker

Re: Shark at the International Woodworking Fair

Post by 4DThinker »

I was there. Had a delightful time chatting with Tim and his wife Melissa. They were showing a lathe attachment/configuration for cutting 3D parts on a spindle. Tim also had some 3D printed parts he was showing that an upcoming plastic extruder for the Shark could make. They were in the Rockler booth, building B, World Congress Center.

wolffie

Post by wolffie »

4DThinker wrote:I was there. Had a delightful time chatting with Tim and his wife Melissa. They were showing a lathe attachment/configuration for cutting 3D parts on a spindle. Tim also had some 3D printed parts he was showing that an upcoming plastic extruder for the Shark could make. They were in the Rockler booth, building B, World Congress Center.
I'll believe that when I see it.
It might just be a pie in the sky.

Cheers
Wolffie
I am never going to die, I live in Paradise already

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

I'd like to hear about the extruded.

Joe, I am guessing the turned honeycomb was yours? :)

Thanks for posting.

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Wolffie wrote:
4DThinker wrote:I was there. Had a delightful time chatting with Tim and his wife Melissa. They were showing a lathe attachment/configuration for cutting 3D parts on a spindle. Tim also had some 3D printed parts he was showing that an upcoming plastic extruder for the Shark could make. They were in the Rockler booth, building B, World Congress Center.
I'll believe that when I see it.
It might just be a pie in the sky.

Cheers
Wolffie
I didn't see an extruder in action, but the examples came from Tim's pocket and as CEO I have no reason to doubt he is working on one. Thinking about it the Shark is already 95% of what a 3D Printer needs to be. Some feature a heated base to make the piece come off easily. Not sure how they'll solve that one. A spool mount for the plastic feed would be needed too. Would be nice if the extruder assembly was easy to swap in-and-out with the router. What intrigues me is the potential of 24 x 24 (or larger) working area. Most 3D printers in the price range are lucky to have 6" x 6" of model space.

GARYR6

Post by GARYR6 »

At the Makers Fair in San Fran, several cncs were being used to run extruders. They bolt them on the side of the CNC router head and us an offset to run the part. Most notable was Shopbot which had one running.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

As the Shark gets more and more accessories it is turning out to be something my College Dept. could use for nearly every school of design thought. We have Interior Design where Architectural model parts (often cut with the laser cutter) could be made (using a 1/32 or 1/16 bit), Product Design which would make heavy use of an extruder (making 3D models of their designs), and Furniture Design which already gets heavy use of available CNCing. A Shark would be used for making scale models, one step in the furniture design process.