CNC shark computer needs

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

BRITTELL

CNC shark computer needs

Post by BRITTELL »

I just bought and assembled my CNC machine over the last few weeks and here are a few points I wish others had told me up front about the needed computer
1. Don’t plan on using an old computer that the kids had to run your system
2. I had to go out and buy a new portable to run mine. Make sure you can get on the net and see the vendor home pages. Also make sure you can send and receive email on the new machine
3. I also needed a bigger monitor to see everything and read the fine print in the documentation since it’s in the form of a .PDF file
4.The old system I had did not have enough USB ports. I needed the following ports
a. Mouse USB
b. Key board USB since I can’t type on those small keys provided with the computer
c. MAKO controller USB
d thumb drive USB so I can transfer file from the shop to the house office system where I set doing a lot of my drawing and graphic work.
5. work area or bench area to set up and use the computer with a power strip

So you will need 4 USB ports or at least a USB HUB to expand what you do have. Also I had to pull in a phone line from the house for all the support calls.
I hope this help others plan your startup Also I had to get an adapter to connect my shop vacuum to the dust collector

4DThinker

Re: CNC shark computer needs

Post by 4DThinker »

For what it is worth I have a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse with a spare small case computer running my Shark. I keep the PC on the same table the Shark is on, and simply erect a 1/8" piece of Baltic birch between the PC and the CNC when it is running. The PC only came with two USB ports, one for the Shark controller and one for the Bluetooth dongle. and the wireless keyboard is very handy as I can simply lay it on the CNC deck when jogging to locate 0,0,0. The PC also has built-in WiFi, so I simply rely on email to get the file from myself or anyone else I'm doing a job for.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

I am in the process of building an enclosure for my shark as the dust boot just doesn't cut it. As far as the laptop, it is going inside it's own enclosure next, with a mouse and keyboard. I too use the keyboard to just lay on my project as I toggle around the setup. As far as the USB thumb drive, I have found that something like dropbox works better. I can access the file from any computer and never have to worry about getting all covered in dust and realizing that the thumb drive is sitting in the computer inside the house. It seems to get the file where I need it faster than email and I don't have to worry about size limitations. I keep samples of all my work on it and comes in handy when I am out and someone wants to see something, it updates itself and is always available to show

I have just about ruined a perfectly good laptop from all the dust. I ran the shop vac over it to remove it but along with the dust it removed several of my keys and now several others don't work. Even with the shark enclosure I get significant dust from other tools in the shop so I'd recommend anyone to look at enclosing their PC.

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

A cheap laptop is your best bet in my opinion.

I've even run mine using a Dell Mini 9 netbook!

You seem to need "extra" USB ports due to your setup more than the CNC. It only needs one.

Logitech makes a keyboard/mouse that both work off the same USB Dongle.

I also will argue about the effects of wood dust one your computer. The dust itself is not the issue, the cooling fans and passages being blocked causes overheating. This can and will happen just as quickly sitting on your home office desk as in the shop, even faster if you have pets. And fine dust from the shop is actually easier to blow out of the system than hair and fibers.

I have been working on PCs and laptops in woodshops running CNCs for more than 20 years. I have never taken and extrordinary measures to keep them free of dust and have yet to have one fail that way. Just blow out the cooling passages with low power air every so often and you'll be fine.

Ralph

rgreen105

Post by rgreen105 »

I found a flexible washable keyboard works very well in the shop, along with a diswasher safe mouse to keep the dust out. I only use the system in the shop to run the Shark interface and do not use it to do design and layout, so the keyboard and mouse are adequate.

http://www.notebooknerds.com/roll-up-po ... aterproof/

http://www.neworldit.com/ProductDetails ... Mgod-g0A6g

USB Wireless adapter and network allow me to share files between my systems and have internet access in the shop for updates.

Richard

lsvien

Post by lsvien »

I picked up a used Panasonic Toughbook CF-29. Running windows XP. This unit is sealed and could be used outdoors in a pouring rain. Less than $300 on Craigslist. It ends up completely covered in sawdust and a quick shot from the compressor air hose and it's fine. Mine has a touch screen, perfect for using the shark controller software. Especially the jog buttons. I am using a bluetooth mouse. I went a little higher end and got the 1.6 megahertz processor but it is running with a wireless G card and can tap into my home network. I have shared the directory where I store all my files on the network and can do design work on the desktop and create the toolpaths and save. I then go out to the shop and bring in the toolpaths on the Panasonic and away I go.

I can't think of a more perfect computer for this type of application.

furyfantoo

Post by furyfantoo »

I’ll ramble a bit but you’ll understand where I’m going:

I got a Mako kit in Dec 2012 and also bought a new computer, thinking that my 2005 model ‘puter would surely be insufficient in some regard.

I do all the drawing/prepwork on the new ‘puter upstairs, and use the old one for merely running the Shark (in the basement). I carry files to/fro with a memstick (a real PITA for a novice who needs to constantly be tweaking something for the .tap file).

So on a whim, I put the Vectric on the old ‘puter @ the Shark and whaddayaknow – it works just fine.

Also -
The old computer has been in workshop environments for at least 6-7 years and only been blow-gunned a few times. Aside from larger woodflakes mechanically obstructing a keyboard key, I don’t think there’s much to worry about. That thing has been *coated* with dust inside for year-long stretches.
Just a small-scale amateur woodworker trying to take it to the next level...

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

While just about any old PC will run VCarve Pro and the Shark Controller, the latest computers will be more efficient and zippy when working with complex drawings. I had to spec a PC for the Shark we installed in my university's furniture shop, and the new i7 with 16gb RAM is much more of a delight to use than my old dell at home.

So if you can afford it, get the latest process and most RAM you can. New PCs also are coming with more USB ports than old ones did, and much more initial storage space as well.

Just food for thought.

gordread

Post by gordread »

4DThinker nailed it on the head. I've been in IT now for 20 years, and using PCs for wood working for about 2. Regardless of the use you will be putting the computer to, it is always best, and you will get the longest life from the PC if you buy the best that you can afford. The definition of 'best' is somewhat subjective, but includes the fastest processor paired with the most memory, with a large hard-drive (or two) for storing all of those great projects.

I would not recommend going out and purchasing a huge 'gaming' system or anything like that, those are generally a waste of $$. Purchase something from a small local shop who you know will be able to provide good in store service.

Gordon