Addressed to Next Wave Automation - Hidden Stops

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

CountryWoodCrafts

Addressed to Next Wave Automation - Hidden Stops

Post by CountryWoodCrafts »

Hello all this is for anyone to answer but addressed to Next Wave Automation.

I have a Shark Pro Plus with an Extended Base . . . giving me a travel area of 25.2" X 54.5"
I had a base top that was made by N.W.A. of (2) MDF tops butted together and supported by three angle iron rails running full length.
I had never used the full run of the base before because I had to run supports halfway down the top so I would stop the top from severely bouncing.
I have since removed and replaced the top with 8020's 1545 and 1515 pieces. Now I have a top that is strong and does not need extra mid-ship bracing.
I now can use the CNC to its full potential.

Now for the question . . .

When I jog I can go the full 25.2" on the width . . . but when I try to do my full 54.5" length the jog stops at 37.4" and buzzes. . . while it is buzzing the numbers are still climbing destroying my zero for the machine. It does not matter which direction or where the start point of the jog starts . . .when it hits 37.4" it halts and buzzes. You can lift your finger off the key and depress it again and it will continue its journey but if you counted on the zero on the axis it has been wiped out already. I found if I do say 30" and leave up on the button and depress it again I can go the full travel. It seems to reset the 37.4" stop. I am going to have to make a tap file to run the full length of the table now to see if I full a file in to cut a piece of material in over 37.4" whether it will wipe out the zero point while cutting a project . . .

I figure it is in the control panel settings as I had a similar setting issue when I first bought the machine and had one of the controllers that squeaked out with bad numbers in its settings. I am going to video this event later and post the link so the true sounds etc can be witnessed

How many of you with extended bases have ever run this distance and can validate that your does the full travel without this event??

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Addressed to Next Wave Automation - Hidden Stops

Post by jeb2cav »

I've carved 54" x 24" on my extended base both the ProPlus one and now the HD one. I'd contact NWA support directly on this and get it resolved. I believe you, and don't need a movie to believe - if I recall you were one of the very earliest extended bed users. May also be a combination of recent software, registration, and the circuitry in your control box.

CountryWoodCrafts

jeb2cav wrote:I believe you, and don't need a movie to believe - if I recall you were one of the very earliest extended bed users. May also be a combination of recent software, registration, and the circuitry in your control box.
I was just thinking that the actual sounds might clue in on the problem . . .

Yes I was to have had the first black model extended base unit . . . matter of fact I bought it directly from N.W.A and Rockler didn't know what I was talking about when I heard rumor of the extended model. . . .

Now I do say I had upgraded to the 23g and have not down graded it back to the f yet....

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

In another thread NWA mentioned jog functions specifically as one of the problems with the G firmware. Regress to the f variant and see if the problem remains.

CountryWoodCrafts

4DThinker wrote:In another thread NWA mentioned jog functions specifically as one of the problems with the G firmware. Regress to the f variant and see if the problem remains.
I am in the process of rolling it back now. . . .

Nope . . . running 23f now and still 37.4" stop

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

It sounds like a binding of some sort.
You said you removed the top that was there and put down a different top?
A couple of things could be happening. 1st if you might have created a binding replacing the top by forcing the sided either wider apart or closer together.

another issues might be depending on if you have and older version of the extended unit so the question is: Does this have the supported bases rods of the HD or one of the Pro Plus with unsupported rods?

if it is a proplus with unsupported rods then it could be the base plastic is in contact with the block slider (part that connects to gantry). check to make sure that the bottom block slider is not comming in contact with anythhing at that point. This includes your new top or the base plastic.

Let me know which one you have and after these issues are checked.
Thanks

Tim

CountryWoodCrafts

The only thing with that is I can forward the axis down say 30" and then continue and it won't stop . . . If I were to say put it at 10" it would stop at 47.4"

It moves with the stop point . . . . I have that controller you have me go into the options and change settings . . .if that means anything.

Also I removed the top and the same thing happens . . .

It doesn't matter the jog speed and the sound as it travels stay constant till it hits that 37.4 point
2DSCF3019.JPG
Here is a picture to identify . . .

baby15

Post by baby15 »

I have the hd. you mean I can get a extended top. how much is the cost. just thinking

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

You can send an email to support and ask for the pricing.

CountryWoodCrafts

Here is the link to the video of the machine stopping . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFd499aB ... e=youtu.be

I have created an engraving toolpath to run 12" wide and 38" long .200" deep . . . .it ran without flaw . . .

So I am going to create another 12 x 42 and run it to prove it is not my Machine but settings . . . it is only happening with the jog function.

Now I ask you having that 23g installed before . . .could anything have been modified that even reinstalling 23f could not resolve?

And I had never had a chance to run the machine full length due to the floppy top . . . I never wanted to question the quality I would get with the bounce. So it could have been doing this all along and never knew it till now . . .

I created the 12 x 42 engraving and the machine moved flawlessly . . . .So it is only in the jogging that the problem lies . . .

Tim Owens. . . Any suggestions??
Last edited by CountryWoodCrafts on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.