Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

ltlbull

Re: rotary attachment

Post by ltlbull »

Any update?

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

We are testing software and are looking for a limited release from our website at the end of the month.
Rockler should soon sell then after that.

fasteddie

Post by fasteddie »

Is the rotary axis available, I don't see say information if or when it is available?

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

NWA is working with Vectric to make sure that the upcoming version of VCarve works well with the rotary attachment before releasing it. Vectric has suggested they'll have the 7.0 update for VCarve Pro ready by the end of this month. This coincides with Tim Owen's statement that they "are looking for a limited release from our website at the end of the month". In other words it should appear at http://nextwaveautomation.com/home.aspx first, but eventually be available through Rockler.com

NWA's website needs a few other updates, such as adding the HD 2.0 and.or Mako to it.

I recently talked with Tim Owens about this and a move into Educational application of CNC technology they want to make and support. I'm using an HD 2.0 in a college furniture design shop at the moment, and one student of mine has a father who is a high school woodworking instructor and also has a Shark to use in the school shop.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

VCarve Pro 7.0 is out now. It looks to have some new gadgets for 4th axis cylinder cutting. Just curious to hear from NWA when they might officially release the 4th Axis lathe attachment.

Any news, Tim O.?

ltlbull

Post by ltlbull »

4DThinker wrote:VCarve Pro 7.0 is out now. It looks to have some new gadgets for 4th axis cylinder cutting. Just curious to hear from NWA when they might officially release the 4th Axis lathe attachment.

Any news, Tim O.?
I second that.....any update?

fishking

Post by fishking »

So when is the rotary attachment actually going to be out for sale.
Does anyone know.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

fishking wrote:So when is the rotary attachment actually going to be out for sale.
Does anyone know.
Right now only the folks as NWA may know. There have been several estimated release dates hinted at from NWA, but they have all passed.

One thought that occurs to me is that a few clever members here have come up with a way to turn the Y axis into a functioning rotary axis. It would be cheaper to mass produce and be simpler to install and uninstall than the external lathe option proposed. No remounting of the router required. No extra table space required. Perhaps the demand for and potential price on the 4th axis option from NWA don't add up to a viable product to go into production with.

Rockler previously picked up the dust boot design from a member and put it into production. Perhaps they are working out the kinks on the version I mention above to eventually release one from Rockler.com. We can only hope, or if desperate find the related thread and go about making our own.

4D

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

4d and all
Just to correct and give updates.
I am not certain which Dust boot design you are referring too but Rockler does not make any attachments for sharks NWA designs and builds them. Then we provide them to Rockler .

We have been working on a number of designs that will be shown at the Vegas show and the 4th axis is one of them. I am not willing to show anything at these shows if we are not ready to sell them at the time of the show.

We have been working on several 4th axis designs that would give the most bang for the buck and we didn’t want a 4th axis that only worked for people with Aspire. We have been working with vectric and have created a gadget that will work with the 7.0 for our purposes. We have created a side saddle mount for the router in beta testing but it has some give due to the nature of it being on a large fulcrum. We went back and are creating a conversion kit for people to be able to rotate there existing cradle. We will do a larger group of people soon to buy this whole 4th axis kit directly from us until Rockler picks it up.

Tim

milo30

Post by milo30 »

Since there is a little update info on the 4th axis, I figured that I'd chime in. I would like to see a attachment that mounted the piece to be rotated but that left the router in place. My router is a PIA to pull out or place back in, the idea of the time it seems like it would take to rotate the assembly along with worries about having to square it to the table again would be a deal breaker to me. I would be afraid that it would then just become and accessory that collects dust for me. If it had to be at a rotated angle, I'd rather see an attachment to connect another colt router horizontally, maybe on the back side of the gantry so that I never have to mess with my primary adjustments.

None of those ideas may be feasible with the height and strength of the gantry. The few that I have seen in use did not seem to require a lot of work to go from one type of router to the other and I think that is key for me. I want fast and easy. The retrofitting is the hard part here. New machines could be produced with one fairly easy.