x axis changed

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jdonaldson

x axis changed

Post by jdonaldson »

I'm in the process of doing five identical carves, the first two went ok ( rough, finish, vcarve & profile ) but when running the rough on the third one my x axis changed by .500. z & y were still ok. I am loading the tap files from a thumb drive and didn't log out between cuts.

Thanks as always for your help

John
shark pro, Aspire 4 , VCP 6.5 , cut 3d ,

milo30

Re: x axis changed

Post by milo30 »

If you are talking about after completing the file, the machine should have returned to 0.0,0.0 and instead it did 0.50, 0.0., that is an issue that I and some others have had. No reason that I am aware of for why it does it, just happens occasionally. You'll have to check those settings before you hit run. You should be able to jog it back to the 0.0 and be fine.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Often when the home position doesn't return to the same spot it is because the previous cut went slightly past the machine limits. In your case check the last part to see if it is .5" smaller in the x direction than it should be. When the router bumps into a limit the controller doesn't know it, and keeps advancing to the end of the current vector end. The router may look for that time like it isn't moving at all, or if the line is a diagonal one it'll stop moving diagonally .

rsetina

Post by rsetina »

How are you holding the parts down to the table? Could your reference have moved after removing the second part you cut? I'm trying to think of reasons why the third part was out of line other than a software problem.
Rick

jdonaldson

Post by jdonaldson »

Actually the machine goes astray during the rough cut, I'm doing some of the hearts with ribbons and it moves the bottom tip over. I'm a good three inches inside the bottom limit and have the board screwed down.

Thanks again for all the input

John

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

it might be worth mentioning the cutting speed on the roughing.
Vectric standard tool speed values are often too aggressive for the shark to keep up with and you may be losing steps.

since I don't know what inches per minute you are trying to run, I would suggest cutting your speed in half and seeing of the issue is speed related.
rough cuts are usually more aggressive than than finish cuts , so you may not be able to power through your stock reliably at the speed you are using.

jdonaldson

Post by jdonaldson »

That might be the problem, while I've had my machine for a while still very much a beginner so usually just use the defaults. Maybe I've just been lucky that the first two turned out

Thanks

milo30

Post by milo30 »

if you were using the default, that will more than likely be your issue. Once i slowed mine down, the results have been much better

jdonaldson

Post by jdonaldson »

I'm using a .250 up spiral bit for roughing and a .125 ball nose finishing with a dewalt router what feed rate would you recommend

Thanks

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

I rarely go over 50 ipm. If you are roughing and the router starts to strain and lose rpm, chances are the steppers are straining to push the bit that fast too. Finish passes are usually much easier on the forces required.