Your Opinion

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

ROBBY_D1

Your Opinion

Post by ROBBY_D1 »

I am interested in getting a small CNC for my garage. I am currently making cutting boards and it looks like i can step up my game with a cmc. Im looking at a SHARK HD3. This one seems big enough to fit my boards. I have never used cnc software before.
In your opinion do you think this is the right machine for me?
I see that there is a holiday special right now that you get a few extra items included for the same price. I was looking at possibly getting a refurb for a couple hundred less.
Im in the Military and also a Vol Fire Dept. so I am sure that I will also be making items for them also. My understanding that i could do more then just wood correct? I see that these machines are sold through rocker, WoodCraft, and i believe i read directly through the manufacture if you call them. Am i correct & Is there anybody else that sells these items.

I am located in Northern VA near Alexandria VA.

Thank Robby

SwampTiger29

Re: Your Opinion

Post by SwampTiger29 »

I posted something close to this concerning the price, no replies. I am out in the central valley for the military to me the bundle is worth it in the end. It's like getting the extras for free since the price of the cnc is 3999 originally. I hear this is the better machine for a garage. Best of luck.

Swamptiger29

jimily

Post by jimily »

What I will say is to read read read. Only you will be able to tell if it's the right machine for you and what you want to start doing with it. My machine is the best to me etc etc...

I think the full list of who distributes them is on the New Wave Automation website.

Wood, Acrylic, Resin, Foam, Aluminum, mild steels are all potentials limited only to height and the type of bit you are using. You are only limited by what you can think of and model in the software which is fairly easy to learn. You can get a really good idea of what it can do by looking at the other peeps posts.

Have fun deciding. I obtained mine from Craigslist so I can't say anything about packages and current prices and their value to a consumer.

Jimily
It is easier to destroy than it is to create, just look at my scrap pile.

2014 Shark Pro Plus HD
Bosch EVS1617 w/ PrecisionBits Collets
Dixie Billet Aluminum Router Clamp Upgrade
Vcarve 8.0, Inkscape on Windows 8; CP 2.1 on WinXP

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Robby,
I think from what you describe the HD3 would be an excellent machine and the package deals make it all the more value. I paid basically the same price for the HD (I guess technically the HD1) machine 3 years ago when it first came out. I realized early on that I made a good choice over the lighter and smaller ones from NWA. I think if you had 2 or 3 or 5 thousand more dollars to spend I might choose one either from the Laguna line (lowest end probably) or maybe the one that Rockler has picked up lately in their line. At one time I thought Rockler was and exclusive distributor but I guess that has now changed. I would think a little further if you are planing to machine metals. I think the flex of the gantry pretty well lets out even the softest of metals. Not that you couldn't design a project at an extremely slow feed rates and get by with it but I don't think it is a realistic proposition. Others may have more experience to better advise you but personally I would say no to metals. But as for most all woods and corian, acrylic, etc it is great. I think also you can "engrave" metals via a spring loaded diamond bit (much like a jeweler "engraves" but that is about it. The optional control panel 2.0 or what ever the current version is would probably be worth you while and extra money, or at least I think so. Not sure I would go for the "refurb" units unless NWA is the one that refurbished it. You might get a good deal on a used one but even then I would be careful as to why they are selling it, but there are a lot of good deals that I have seen where a persons situation has changed and they can no longer use it. The "specials" and "bundles" are definitely the way to go and hopefully all of the newer machines are coming with VCarve Pro 8.0 (or at least I think you can get a free upgrade). You have several advantages on the HD3 over the previous models in that I think they have gone to the metal back plate on the gantry assembly as well as the swept back side pieces and the thicker firmer and hopefully flatter deck. So overall you would be making a sound decision in my opinion.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

meb

Post by meb »

A new machine would be the way to go because the bed will be better, the gantry will be better because of the aluminium back plate ( Not sure but it might not be on the refurb unit) and there won't be hidden problems that show up because something was missed in the refurb. If you get a refurb you will probably have to by the extras like touch plate (which I recommend) and the dust boot if you want to keep your shop cleaner and help protect your lungs (there will be a lot of dust created).

You will get VCarve Desktop with the standard HD3 which will make files for CNC machines 24"x24" or smaller. There is a little less functionality with the Desktop version versus the Pro edition but this would probably not be a problem for you but if you want to add a rotary axis later them you will have to upgrade to Pro or Aspire. that is the good thing because if you find you want to upgrade you don't have to pay full price, they will give you a discount.

The CNC Shark HD3 is not made for heavy production or anything you need to hold close tolerances on but is is a good machine for the small shop and can save you a littl money.

Remember I recommend buying the new machine because of the quality of materials they are using now but that will be your choice just try to get as many free items as you can when you buy.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

I would highly recommend that you get the upgrade from VCarve Desktop to the VCarve Pro. I don't know all of the missing items in the Desktop version but I am going to say it is significant. I just figured it the HD3 would come with the Pro version.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

ROBBY_D1

Post by ROBBY_D1 »

Thanks everybody i really appreciate and respect yalls opinions. The Refrub is from NWA but the price difference is not enough to buy. I have found the HD3 New for $3,819 with shipping and all. That's including the dust boot, touch plate, and bits. Im going to do some research on desktop vs pro. The local TechShop offers classes but just for the Pro version.

Now i just have to find a buyer for my motorcycle so i can make my purchase final.

Anybody located in northern VA that i can see the machine in use.

Respectfully
Robby
Semper Paratus
Robby Drapela

davemartin88

Post by davemartin88 »

I'm a couple of hours out from you in West Virginia (near Romney) but have a Shark Black Diamond machine, about 2 years old. I did do the aluminum back plate upgrade a few months ago and seems more stable. I'm not a pro but if you have time, PM me to come out this way if you don't find someone nearby. One issue might be that I use Aspire and don't have the V-carve software but if you have a laptop loaded with the software or demo, you could connect to see how it looks. Good luck with your purchase.