Problem cutting text

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

fred1030

Problem cutting text

Post by fred1030 »

Almost every time I cut tex I am leaving uncut material in the middle of the text. It does not make a difference when I change fonts.
I am using .5 V cut 90 degree bit. What am I doing wrong? I have to clean the letters out with my dremel and I know this should not be happening.
It was much more pronounced today when I was cutting several letters .8 inches tall and .18 inches deep.
Is it cutting speed, depth or what.
Could really use some help. I have my first small job of about 7 or 8 signs and it will take me hours to clean out the letters on each sign.

Eagle55

Re: Problem cutting text

Post by Eagle55 »

Hey I'm new and never cut a project yet.... just got my machine in today. But I have an idea you might check. When you create your toolpath are you creating a "Profile Toolpath"? I think you might want to be creating "V-Carve/Engraving toolpath" I hope I'm not sending you off into the dark but I have been messing with the trail software for a day or two trying to be ready when my machine got here.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

Kryptik

Post by Kryptik »

'ello
I've attached a CRV of a house number I just did for someone, the numbers V'd beautifully, as did the leaf on the bottom of the thistle.
Compare it to what you are doing, hopefully it is something simple and it will shed some light for you.
Just remember, we run metric down here :)
Attachments
Thistle_House_Number.crv
(763 KiB) Downloaded 246 times

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Can you post the VCarve project file? Not all fonts are suitable/ideal as is. What you describe may be the result of the font - but maybe not as well. Be glad to look.

You may also want to look in the tool database settings for the tool you are using - and ensure you have it set properly. While there, you may want to decrease the Final Pass Stepover clearance and also the Clearance Pass Stepover in the Cutting Parameters section. I can't remember what the defaults are. I prefer to use 4% for the Final Pass and 16% for the Clearance Pass. Yes, it takes a little longer to cut - but this is what I did to minimize sanding in my case. Some users may have other tips for both of us in this regard.

fred1030

Post by fred1030 »

Thanks for the tips and info. I just changes the step over and final pass to 4% and 16% and plan on cutting the next sign shortly. I may wait a few and see if there are any more comments about the fonts.
There must be over a hundred fonts in the program. Does anyone have any suggestions which fonts are more suitable for cutting with a V bit or which font may be more suitable to cut with a round nose bit? Haven't tried the round nose bits yet but plan to.
Does certain founts work better with say 1 inch or smaller heights and other fonts work better with say larger than 1 inch maybe up to 2 1/2 inches or so?
If my sign file fails to upload would someone let me know please.

Kryptik

Post by Kryptik »

If there was supposed to be a file attached to your last message...there isn't....