First cut
First cut
Then rotate the stock 90 degrees:
Second cut
Second cut
You could make more than one at a time.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

milo30

Re: How should I go about making this?

Post by milo30 »

Bob,
That's an interesting method. I would have never thought about doing it that way. I've had some interesting suggestions, all with their own merits. I may have to try each way just to see how they all work for future reference. I appreciate everyone's help. When I get them made I'll post a picture and tell which way ended up being the easiest. :D

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

The only problem I see with Bob's suggesting is finding a bit that can cut as deep as the spoon is wide.

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

How about this:

For the curved areas, draw a series of parallel lines in X covering the 'dished' area.

Program each of them as a profile toolpath cutting on the line.

Each line cuts a bit deeper than the last until the middle is reached, and then each gets more shallow until the other side is reached. This would leave a set of 'steps' from the outer edges down to the center that should be easy to sand out.

This method can be used to create both convex and concave shapes. It would take a bit of time to program, but now that you are doing a bunch, it would be worth it.

Ralph

Bob

Post by Bob »

4DThinker wrote:The only problem I see with Bob's suggesting is finding a bit that can cut as deep as the spoon is wide.
If thats the "only" problem, then,
Either use a long bit and cut all the way through, or cut halfway through with a shorter bit, turn the blank over, cut halfway on the other side.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Consultingwoodworker

Ok, I did a quick layout and ran it through VCarve, here is how it would look using a 1/4" round nose bit stepping over 1/8" at a time.

BillK

Post by BillK »

Great stuff. Can't wait until we get to the spoon.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

Consultingwoodworker

Bill, The set up above will work as well for spoons as salad forks. You just need to change the depths to suit your curvature.

Ralph

milo30

Post by milo30 »

Wow amazing how many ways people are coming up with accomplishing this task and I wasn't even sure on one. Guess I still have a lot to learn.

ruhnau

Post by ruhnau »

There actually is another method which I have used. The discussion is under Bobs super simple 4th axis. I created a baseball bat by modifying the toolpath data to cut in the xz plane rather than in the xy plane. The contour would be cut on the top side leaving the ends intact for clamping and locating. The piece would then be flipped over to cut the underside again modifying the toolpath data to cut in the xz plane. It's hard to explain without visuals but Bob has seen this. I will try this and post results but me take me a while. Hopefully I can bring a sample to our next shark owners group meeting.