Has anyone ever used thier Shark to create. ..

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

cjablonski

Re: Has anyone ever used thier Shark to create. ..

Post by cjablonski »

Although I haven't done inlay on one, I have done several clocks. In general, the design has room to compensate for most imbalances, less the escapement area of a clock, wherein it's to sensitive to imbalance.
"I'm not smart, I just remain on problems longer"
Albert Einstein

Making many BTU by experimentation. ...some days it gets too warm :)

asever

Post by asever »

My experience is the amount of material used to make the inlay is really small and as such has very little effect on the balance point. The depth of cut is set to bottom out at .03 (about 1/32 of an inch). Also the inlay is actually part of the pendulum which will have adjustable weights that will need to be set to create the correct balance thus any imbalance in the pendulum will be corrected. All the clocks I have built in the past have used lead shot in a single pendulum that swings at the bottom of the clock. This clock has four points that causes the arms to swing back and forth (underneath the four inlays pictured below is a large fender washer that is being used for weight) . My understanding is the original designer created this setup to allow the clock to run on a ship. With a single pendulum at the bottom the rolling of the ship would stop the clock working. I believe this design was created to overcome that problem.

(I am going to re-sand this as I can see some glue marks)
IMG_0119.jpg
One other note...the CA glue is a great resource for wood workers and is super useful. With that said the fumes are nasty stuff. As the above picture show I use a fair amount and allow it to soak in. What the pictures do not show is that the piece is inside my CNC case which has a built in vent that pulls the air in through the door and then outside. I have used it other times just in the shop and it is good to have a small fan blow the fumes away yourself.

Andy
Attachments
IMG_0120.jpg
IMG_0121.jpg

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

You are correct Andy! The original compound pendulum was designed by Harrison as part of a competition for sea going clocks to calculate latitude. But a word of note regarding true super glue - I personally would avoid using true superglue on any load bearing point. It does hold fast, a distinct advantage over PVA, but it also become brittle over time. Have seen this many times from different clock builders using it for pinion and wheel assembly stating within a few months they came apart due to load or shock. Just my 2 cents, your results may vary :D
"I'm not smart, I just remain on problems longer"
Albert Einstein

Making many BTU by experimentation. ...some days it gets too warm :)