Projecting toolpath onto 3D model

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Eagle55

Projecting toolpath onto 3D model

Post by Eagle55 »

I feel like I am having a mental moment. I have seen the indication that a tool path can be projected onto a 3d model. Quoting from the V-Carve help file with the program I quote:
"Project toolpath onto 3D Model. This option is only available if a 3D model has been defined. If this option is checked then after the toolpath has been calculated, it will be projected (or ‘dropped’) down in Z onto the surface of the 3D model"

I am trying to engrave lettering onto a curved surface of a 3d model, but can't find this "option" to check the box on. I am assuming at this point that I have not properly "defined a 3D model" I have imported a model into Cut 3d and sized it and saved it then imported it into V-Carve along with the associated toolpaths for roughing and finishing. I have created the lettering toolpath that I want to engrave on the 3d model, but can't for the life of me find how to get the lettering to project onto the model. I'm sure it is something simple but I can't find it.
Attachments
Working on a project that Tonydude had posted and wanted to see how to do the engraving onto the surface
Working on a project that Tonydude had posted and wanted to see how to do the engraving onto the surface
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

Kryptik

Re: Projecting toolpath onto 3D model

Post by Kryptik »

Then I'm having a mental moment as well...
In Aspire, it just lives in the box above "calculate"
I've just spent 20 minutes trying to project some text on to a coffee cup for you in V-Carve, and I can't find it either...
Good luck....

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

You can only do the project toolpath on 3d model in aspire.
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

I could almost see that being an Aspire feature but why do they talk about it in both versions of the V-Carve users manuals like it is a feature of V-Carve and seems like it should be, or at least should mention that that is only a feature of Aspire. I have spent hours looking for it based on it being in the V-Carve manual and quoted the whole procedure based on it being even explained in detail in the software version of the manual that comes in the V-Carve program itself (thats where the quote above came from), but clearly see it doesn't look like it is included.
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

Bob

Post by Bob »

Eagle
Time is getting short. If Aspire is needed, and VCarve will not do what you want, here are a couple of quick (possibly not good) solutions:
Mill a pocket in the banner to create a flat section. Then engrave names onto the pocketed area.
Or, Engrave names somewhere else on the sign where there is already a flat surface.

I don't have aspire, so I'm continually working around problems like this.

Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

I've looked hard and long at this as well, and yep, it sure is in the VCarve doc - and I can't find a post on this in the Vectric forum so far either. I'd post the question in the VCarve section on the Vectric forum - and bring back what you found...

tmerrill

Post by tmerrill »

This is simply an error in the VCP documentation and has been reported to Vectric.

3D shapes cannot exist in VCP, so a feature like this would be impossible to implement.

Tim

BrianM

Post by BrianM »

Hi,

This was an oversight in the documentation and seems to have only appeared in the section on the fluting toolpath, which wrongly included some text which was Aspire specific . I'm sorry about this, and we have now updated the documentation for the next release.

Brian