Using Composite Deck Trim for outdoor signs

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

fred1030

Using Composite Deck Trim for outdoor signs

Post by fred1030 »

Has anyone used the Composite Deck Trim for outside signs yet? It is made from a combination of wood fiber and plastic type material that is heavier and more dense than mdf.
My first experience using this was mediocre. The material seems to cut OK but because of the plastic in it, it leaves material in the bottom of my cut out letters. I had to use the my dremol to clean the letters out and it seems the plastic was melted in the bottom of the cut.
Before I start another sign, any suggestions on setting up my cut?
Should I cut faster? Turn the router up to a higher speed? Slow the router down? Cut at a slower rate?
I am using a Shark. The router speed was on 2 I think that is about 14000 rpm or so but relatively slow. My cut rate was down to about 40" per minute.
Any help would be appreciated. The Composite Deck Trim should be perfect for a lot of outside signs.

sk8nmike

Re: Using Composite Deck Trim for outdoor signs

Post by sk8nmike »

I've cut this using a 2 fluted end mill, cut about like Oak or Mulberry. Lot of fine dust.

baby15

Post by baby15 »

fred1030 wrote:Has anyone used the Composite Deck Trim for outside signs yet? It is made from a combination of wood fiber and plastic type material that is heavier and more dense than mdf.
My first experience using this was mediocre. The material seems to cut OK but because of the plastic in it, it leaves material in the bottom of my cut out letters. I had to use the my dremol to clean the letters out and it seems the plastic was melted in the bottom of the cut.
Before I start another sign, any suggestions on setting up my cut?
Should I cut faster? Turn the router up to a higher speed? Slow the router down? Cut at a slower rate?
I am using a Shark. The router speed was on 2 I think that is about 14000 rpm or so but relatively slow. My cut rate was down to about 40" per minute.
Any help would be appreciated. The Composite Deck Trim should be perfect for a lot of outside signs.
would like to see one done

fred1030

Post by fred1030 »

I am not not pleased with how clean the letters turned out but it is doable for now. I feel the next time might be much better. By the way there is very little if any fine dust. I did not see any dust floating around like you would with mdf. This is supposed to be water proof and if so would be perfect for a lot of my signs here at Thunder Mountain Monument if I could cut the letters cleaner.
I bought the decking material at lowes.
Attachments
Wagon Sign copy.jpg

baby15

Post by baby15 »

fred1030 wrote:I am not not pleased with how clean the letters turned out but it is doable for now. I feel the next time might be much better. By the way there is very little if any fine dust. I did not see any dust floating around like you would with mdf. This is supposed to be water proof and if so would be perfect for a lot of my signs here at Thunder Mountain Monument if I could cut the letters cleaner.
I bought the decking material at lowes.
will contact paper stick to it so the lettering can be sprayed black

ohiococonut

Post by ohiococonut »

Now that's pretty ingeneous and I can see it's usefulness.
If it's melting the material your bits too hot. I'd try either slowing the bit speed down or increasing the feed rate. Usually when I have "fuzzies" I double cut just to clean up the carving.
Del

"It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go."

fred1030

Post by fred1030 »

I am nopt sure about the contact paper but will try it. It does not have a real smooth flat surface. It has a fake wood grain but with very little rise to it so I will try it.
Also thanks for the router speed tip. I will slow it down a little and possibly speed up the feed rate just a little also and see what happens.

baby15

Post by baby15 »

fred1030 wrote:I am nopt sure about the contact paper but will try it. It does not have a real smooth flat surface. It has a fake wood grain but with very little rise to it so I will try it.
Also thanks for the router speed tip. I will slow it down a little and possibly speed up the feed rate just a little also and see what happens.
contact might not stck unless it is sealed to make a good contact

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

If by any chance you are going to redo the sign above, the word derrick on the right side is misspelled.