NWA AWFS Recap and Updates!

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Tim Owens

NWA AWFS Recap and Updates!

Post by Tim Owens »

Hello All,

Several of our team members and I have just come back from the AWFS in Las Vegas. We met with a lot of vendors, distributors, Shark users and we once again shared a booth with Rockler on the floor of the show. NWA showcased the 2.0 Control Software which has the new Virtual Zero among a host of other enhancements to Shark Control Panel. A Black Diamond Shark version (Rocker’s Year-end package) was also displayed at the show.

We have had a lot of changes here at Next Wave Automation including our new operations manager, an expanded tech group, and also a new division which is working on our own electronics packages in house for the first time. The new division has created a new product line for Next Wave which is separate from the Shark systems (more on that later). With all of these changes we have very tight timelines with hard dates that we had to meet. The 4th axis controller system was on a tight timeline early in the year and was directly linked with the release with Vectric’s 7.0 software . The delay of the Vectric’s software of about 4 months really slid the 4th axis back considerably. Also we had our main programmer on the 4th axis (Dana) retired from full time service at Next Wave which was an unanticipated set back and made us have to reprioritize. We have interviewed a few candidates but we have not found a good fit for a replacement of Dana but hope to fill the slot soon.

The Virtual Zero is a showcase product, and we were required to get it operational for the AWFS Show. We decided to add it to the 2.0 software because of all the delays and make it one with this release. The enhancements are very exciting and we will be in beta until the launch of the Black Diamond addition in Oct/Nov (Rockler will release those final dates). Anyone who has a Mako unit will get this version (they already have a key) at the time of its release.

We are reworking the websites to show the new products and update all information. This has been a long time coming and we are very excited at all of the changes. Next Wave created a new product line that Rockler was not sure if it would release it at the show or surprise everyone in the October catalog. We all decided on a private showing at the AWFS to the press and so far the response has been tremendous. We will create a new forum for it soon. Now, here it is for you to see…introducing the Ready2Rout programmable router fence.

A sincere thank you to everyone for all of your support, patience, and ideas in the forum!!

The first is a video is about our new software we developed for the units.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... X0yh7uyuHc

The second and third is our new (formally Top Secret) Ready2Rout product that we have a patents applied for.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/108 ... uter-table

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodw ... oodworking

Tim Owens

Wolffie1

Re: NWA AWFS Recap and Updates!

Post by Wolffie1 »

And still no improvement on all the faults and complaints with the older Sharks?
For goodness sakes, release the specs on the older Sharks so the owners do not have to spend oodles of dollars experimenting.
Wolffie

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

Tim, Wade and I appreciate the chance to display in the booth for this year's show so thank you for the opportunity.
And the pieces arrived at home, safe and sound yesterday,. :D
Karen

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

The 4th axis is three and a half years overdue since statement estimate of end of 2010, and still no firm release date.
If Vectric was the blame for a lot of the delays, why are other manufacturers not having issues with their 4 axis units and vectric software ?
Seems it is always someone else's fault..

Kevink18

Post by Kevink18 »

This question is for NWA I ordered a MACO but got a HD due to Rockler over selling do I get the new software update for free or do I have to pay I got the MACO package deal but the HD machine.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

The automated router fence at first glance seems like it may be a technology without a problem to solve. Box joints jigs are much cheaper to create and use with a bit of key stock the same width as the bit being used, and 10 minutes of shop time making a vertical push plate to slide on the key stock rail. A table saw, miter fence add-on board, a little bit of wood the width of the dado blade setup works as well. Dovetails with a store bought dovetail jig for half (or less) the asking price of the fence, or a home made table saw sled you can find plans for thanks to Google that'll cut both halves.

I'll admit any opportunity to bring digital accuracy to a very analog woodshop intrigues me, but that fence will need a few more capabilities IMO. Bit height control for one. A way to index and move a board clamped to the t-slot fence relative to the bit for another.

Am I right thinking it only controls the distance of the fence from the bit?

BillK

Post by BillK »

Thank you. I received my work that was at the show today.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver