How should I go about making this?

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

milo30

How should I go about making this?

Post by milo30 »

I have a family member that asked me to replicate a wooden fork that they broke and can't find a replacement for. It is in a set therefore they want it to be the same. It looks relatively easy except for the curves. I imagine that if I'd ever get aspire, it would be easier to do. It is probably 6" long a 2" or 2 1/2 " wide. There are two curves to it. One on top and one on the back at opposite ends. I'm guessing that I can do this using fluting somehow but I really have never used the fluting much. Anyone got any pointers on how to start this thing as far as measuring the piece to set up the fluting? I think that the largest ball nose I have it 1/4". How would I set up the fluting to make it flat along the width?

I have a touch probe that I could just hook up and let it do it for me but I can't seem to figure out how I would set it up on the machine so that I could probe the front and the back, keeping the fork at the correct angle so that when I cut it front and back, it matches and comes out at the correct thickness for the entire length. If anyone knows how I go about doing that, I'd just do it and cut it in cut3d.
IMAG0244.jpg
IMAG0245.jpg
IMAG0246.jpg

Consultingwoodworker

Re: How should I go about making this?

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

What equipment do you have other than the Shark?

The simplest thing would bet to cut the profile out of a flat blank using the Shark, then bandsaw the curves into it and sand. You'd be done before you could even get the programs finished to mill the curves, and you would need two set ups to mill both faces and some sort of fixtures to hold it.

If you have a bandsaw, that is the way I'd do it.

Ralph

milo30

Post by milo30 »

Unfortunately, a band saw is on my want list but I don't have one at the moment. Now they have asked for 10 of them, out of bamboo and I need them to all look the same. I am toying with the idea presented to me on another forum about bending. I'm thinking about building a steam box and using the shark to cut out a jig. I'd cut them flat and then after steaming, load them into the jig to cool to shape. I've never tried bending but have seen it done. Not sure how well bamboo would be with this technique or if it would even hold it's shape.

I'm thinking of using plywood for the jig. Anyone have experience with this and know my chance of success or am I headed in the wrong direction?

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

If you have a disk or belt sander, or patience using a hand held sander of your choice, the fluting tool can curve the inside before cutting out the profile leaving you to take care of the backside. I traced your photo and scaled it to 6" length. Feel free to examine and use the attached file if you want. Cut from 1/2" thick material and flute depth is 1/4". Start with thicker material and change the fluting depth if you want a deeper curve.

4D
Spoon4D.jpg
Attachments
Spoon4D.crv
(208 KiB) Downloaded 214 times

Bob

Post by Bob »

Milo,
Exactly how wide is that fork?
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

I know you said you didn't have a band saw, but maybe you can get access to one. If so use this method.

Carve your fork out in 1/4 or 3/8" stock. Get a block of wood that the same length and width of your fork and trace/draw a line down the middle resenting the curve of the fork use a band saw or a jig saw and slit the block along that line. Boil the fork for 15 to 20 minutes (should bend easy). Place it between the blocks and squeeze the blocks, a vise works best here, but wood or a bunch of C clamps will work too. Leave it there to dry, at least over night.

Another method to make to blocks would be to carve each side on your CNC.
Fork mold.crv3d
(96 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
Fork mold inverse.crv3d
(101.5 KiB) Downloaded 198 times

milo30

Post by milo30 »

Bob wrote:Milo,
Bob

it is 7 3/4" X 2" X 1/8"

milo30

Post by milo30 »

4DThinker wrote:If you have a disk or belt sander, or patience using a hand held sander of your choice, the fluting tool can curve the inside before cutting out the profile leaving you to take care of the backside. I traced your photo and scaled it to 6" length. Feel free to examine and use the attached file if you want. Cut from 1/2" thick material and flute depth is 1/4". Start with thicker material and change the fluting depth if you want a deeper curve.

4D
Spoon4D.jpg
Thank you. That helps me understand the fluting better. That would probably work and even be able to flip it and flute the back before cutting it out. But sanders I do have so I will have to look at this.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

sk8nmike wrote:I know you said you didn't have a band saw, but maybe you can get access to one. If so use this method.

Carve your fork out in 1/4 or 3/8" stock. Get a block of wood that the same length and width of your fork and trace/draw a line down the middle resenting the curve of the fork use a band saw or a jig saw and slit the block along that line. Boil the fork for 15 to 20 minutes (should bend easy). Place it between the blocks and squeeze the blocks, a vise works best here, but wood or a bunch of C clamps will work too. Leave it there to dry, at least over night.

Another method to make to blocks would be to carve each side on your CNC.
I like the the block and vise idea. I don't have carve3d on this computer so I will have to look at it later but that's a good idea even if not for this project but others.

Bob

Post by Bob »

milo30 wrote:
Bob wrote:Milo,
Bob

it is 7 3/4" X 2" X 1/8"
I think you can easily do the entire thing on the Shark using only VCarve. No fluting needed on this one....Let me play with the idea a little to see if there are any big problems with this.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)