Aspire Pro On Call?

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

todayican2

Aspire Pro On Call?

Post by todayican2 »

My wife and I are just getting started with a Shark pro and aspire 4.0. We are fairly competent with computers but this CNC stuff is a bit confusing!

Is there someone out there who could work with us via phone, or maybe webcam to help us get it all going?

Thanks in advance!
Tom & Heather

tonydude

Re: Aspire Pro On Call?

Post by tonydude »

Hi Tom & Heather,

Welcome to the forum. Have you checked out the tutorials and training materials on vectric? http://support.vectric.com/training-material-aspire also updates http://www.vectric.com/support/program-updates.html
There are also free projects too http://www.vectric.com/cool-stuff/projects.html Lot of info, follow along with the tutorials on your computer, great way to learn. I have been doing this for about 4 yrs now and still learning stuff. Need anymore info don't be afraid to ask.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

I agree, the training videos are the best way to learn. Way too much for someone to teach you on the phone unless you have some specifics. If you watch the video and don't understand something come back and ask but try to be as detailed as you can on what you are trying. I'd suggest that you concentrate ont he vcarve section of aspire first and then move on to creating 3d files once you have the basics down. Trying to use all the features in Aspire can be overwhelming. I can help you on the phone if you'd like to get you some basic info.

todayican2

Post by todayican2 »

The thing that has us hung up at the moment is a Z height issue.

Using aspire and a cutout toolpath, we are trying to cut some simple letters from a sheet of 1/4" plywood.

We are using the Rockler machine control program (latest version) and the machine seems to be cutting fine (Except its about an inch and a half above the wood surface)

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Are you using 2.0 control panel or 1.5? Also When you zero out your machine are you zeroing it out on top of material or on the bed of the machine and is you job setup on top or bottom?

Tony
Attachments
job set up.JPG
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

SPH01

Post by SPH01 »

Tell us where you are at and/or list yourself on the where your from map and see who's close to you.
Is there a Rockler store near you?
Everyone on here is here to help.
Steve

todayican2

Post by todayican2 »

Ok .. We were able to cut out simple 10" letters last night with some finagling. However, I still believe I'm missing something.

Steps that were taken:
1. Jogged machine to center of project board
2. Input those values as Home / Start Position in Aspire
(note am using center / top of project board as zero)

Questions that have come up:

1. When setting up the bit (say a .25 endmill) in the router itself - is there a rule of thumb at how far "in" the bit should go into the router head?
2. Is center or outside better than the other?
3. When trying to set up a project board that was only .205" thick the Z start / home value was a negative number (which Aspire kicks out).

I have the software pretty much figured out, it's the hardware that seems to be eluding me :(

We are about 30 minutes north of Daytona Beach, FL. To the person that asked our location.

Thanking you in advance.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

I talked to you earlier and just saw your post. We didn't discuss center or corner. For the most part it is a personal preference. I like to try and use the same for all of my projects so if I ever go back and use the file at a later time, I won't set the machine at the wrong position. If you remember to check, when you load your file into the control panel, it will show you at the beginning of the file which bit and where your zero was set in the file for zero. I initially used the center for my zero simply because with a vbit, I was able to get a more accurate position. Then, I ran into issues where the file cut away the top layer and I could no longer use the same point of contact to set my Z. You can zero your X,Y and then jog the bit to another section of the board and set your Y. Hit go to 0,0,0 and it will return to the proper location. The problem with that is that if your board is not perfectly flat, it can throw off you Z enough that it might be noticeable.

I now have moved to the lower left and started using that. If I am going to cut out the project from the material and the material is larger than I need, I don't even have to worry about being really accurate in getting right on the corner. The problem that the corner can cause is that you have to be more careful on where you use clamps. I generally clamp the corners if I am using clamps instead of screws. Since I can't clamp on the LL corner, sometimes the shape of what I am cutting out will get too close to where I am forced to use the clamp.

Pick whichever way you are most comfortable in setting up and use it primarily. Before you finish your file, think about how the bit is going to cut and where your clamps will be and then decide if you need to change it for that project.