how to send/open design to machine..ASAP

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

firefighter246

how to send/open design to machine..ASAP

Post by firefighter246 »

I am a newbie in the cnc world...I have watched all the vids that came with it and youtubed everything...now I need experienced help...I designed a simple sign will watching the tutorial vids...but now how do I get them to open and send to my machine??? I cant find out how or and manuals or tutorials to show me this..please help!!

4DThinker

Re: how to send/open design to machine..ASAP

Post by 4DThinker »

Assuming you've created tools paths, and can preview them in VCarve...

In the tool path menu there is an option to save the tool paths. Bottom row of the icons, third from the left if you are using version 7.5. Looks like an ancient 3.5" floppy disk.

You'll pick the tool paths from the list of those you've created. The Shark doesn't have a tool changer, so you can only save out tool paths using the same bit as one file. Save those using different bits as separate files. There will be a drop-down menu item for post-processor. You need to select one for the CNC Shark. I usually choose CNC Shark-USB Arcs (inch). The file you create will have a .TAP extension that can be opened in the CNC Shark Controller software.

Using the Shark control panel is another challenge. Open your .TAP file within it. Get your material sheet clamped down on the t-track table. Install the bit the file expects into the router. I usually measure and mark on my board where the center is, assuming I'd chosen the center for 0,0,0. Using the JOG tab, move the router bit until it is perfectly centered over that mark. If you have a touch plate, use it to set the Z value to the top of your board. SET X,Y, and Z to 0 when the bit is centered over your mark and resting right on top of the board.

Poke around in the options. You can slow down the feed speed. You can increase or decrease how far the bit moves with each keyboard press.

Once you have it centered and Zeroed you can RUN the file. The router's power switch should be ON. The controller will start it up, then proceed to cutting along the tool paths you had defined in VCarve.

Be wary when clamping down your material. You don't want a clamp where the bit may be travelling through. If using version 2.0 of the controller, you can preview the tool paths and jog the bit around the perimeter of them to make sure your clamps will clear.

Hope this helps.

firefighter246

Post by firefighter246 »

yes it did ty!!! the only way I can get it to the control panel is when I save the toothpath and check the box that says send it directly to the control panel. But its ok...
Just need to try to learn more about the design program and how to use it!!! tried to design a few things and carve them and I was not doing something right cause my bit depth always seemed to either to deep or to shallow...ohhhh well Ill keep trying!! Thank you for your help!!!

fred1030

Post by fred1030 »

Hi, I use a different process when creating a project. First of all in the comfort of my office in my house I create the project in VCarve Pro. I save the finished file in a folder in case I ever want to use it again. That alone could saves me lots of work. I save the .tap files in the same folder with each .tap file named with an appropriate name to immediately recognize. ex: 45 degree outside circle or 1/4 inch outside cutout.
Once the project is finished in the computer all I have to do is copy the complete folder to a flash drive. Then I simply go out to my workshop and use that flash drive in my dedicated computer with the Shark and with the controller software all I have to do is simply load the tap file in the order necessary to cut out my job.
Very simple and easy. If there is ever a small problem with one of the files simply load the saved file into VCarve Pro or Aspire in your dedicated computer you are using and make the necessary adjustments then save the .tap file in your folder and reload it your controller software without ever going back to the original computer you processed the project in.
Good Luck