Jog moves too slow, too small

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

azlogger

Jog moves too slow, too small

Post by azlogger »

Just got my cnc shark hooked up to a new computer.
I have not tried running a program yet, but just jogging the gantry it is obviously way off.
The moves are VERY slow. If I set the speed to "slow", I can hardly see it move at all. On "fast", it moves about as fast as "slow" should!
And the size is off. Using my calipers to measure the distance, it moves approximatly 0.4" when I set the "step" to 1". In millimeters, it moves approximatly 4mm when the step is set to 10mm.
Is there some setting to change this?

-shark pro plus, 1.5 control panel

4DThinker

Re: Jog moves too slow, too small

Post by 4DThinker »

If the Shark is brand new, the controller may be programmed wrong. I've seen an increasing number of post like yours lately, and so there may be a flaw in NextWave's quality control process. They make several models now, and how the control box is programmed varies somewhat between them. Give their support number a call and I'm sure they will help you with this.

4D

wwoodworks

Post by wwoodworks »

I had a similar problem as yours but not so dramatic. Z was o.k but X&Y were 1/2 speed and it was carving 1/2 normal size.
NWA sent me a program that changed the model # of the controller and now it works correctly.
Wayne @ Wayne's Woodworks

azlogger

Post by azlogger »

The Machine is about a year old. It worked fine until I connected the new computer.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Double check which post processors you used then AZ. Choosing mm when you used inches or vice-versa will make the scale wrong.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Double post
Last edited by 4DThinker on Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

azlogger

Post by azlogger »

Unless a post processor isn't what I think it is, I'm not using any post processors. I'm Just trying to jog the machine.
Would it help set things straight to load a file?

azlogger

Post by azlogger »

Today I ran the test file "square-1in.tap". The machine moved exactly 1cm each direction, and as always, too slow. What could be wrong???

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

azlogger wrote:Today I ran the test file "square-1in.tap". The machine moved exactly 1cm each direction, and as always, too slow. What could be wrong???
G20 and G21 are codes that tell the CNC to consider numbers as inches or metric values. If you import a .tap file made assuming 1=1 inch but the controller is looking for centimeters then it will cut the file a little less then 1/2 the intended size, or 1cm for each inch. You can draw a file using millimeters within VCarve but of you open it as inches in the controller it'll cut too large. Look for the imperial/metric inches/mm selection in the controller and make sure it wasn't accidentally saved as metric. Change it before loading the file.

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

This might be a simple case of the controller model number is not correct so the wrong setup is begin used.
contact support to confirm.