Got my NWA 4th axis ordered

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

EdThorne

Re: Got my NWA 4th axis ordered

Post by EdThorne »

Hi Nick,
Thank you for the update. I'm sorry to hear about the delays. The manual and new post-processor are both necessary. I hope they are released, soon. I'm not ordering until I see everything up and running properly otherwise I will just become frustrated. Good luck to you.
Ed

studio-n

Post by studio-n »

thanks Ed. I really want this to be a successful addition.
when it comes in I plan to completely document the addition from unboxing to first turning
so we can all see if it is an easy process or not. cheers!
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner

meb

Post by meb »

They say in the description that it can be setup diagonally on the table to turn longer spindles. If this is really true then the software to run the 4th axis will be different than any other software for 4th axis turning I have seen ... this might justify the cost for development of the software ... if not true then they need to change the false advertising. They did send me an email letting me know that shipping was delayed until week of March 23 waiting on the chucks but they are not sending updates since they missed that shipping date. If the delay is the instructions then you have to question if they really have it running or are they still trying to develop a post processor to cut a spindle with the unit mounted diagonally on the table.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Cutting diagonally is a vague term. It can probably be used as an indexing mount as 2D/2.5D tool paths can easily be rotated 45 degrees, but there are no options I've seen in VCarve Pro or Aspire for 3D spindle cutting at any angle besides 0 (X/Y) or 90 (Y/X) degrees. They'll need a custom gadget or some other magic as far as I can tell.

monitoringpost

Post by monitoringpost »

My thought is that the "magic" will be the virtual zero functionality. That is, one will likely require the newer control software for the 4th axis to re-map the co-ordinates for cutting diagonally. Now that been said, whether one requires the newer control panel to use the 4th axis in the more traditional sense - I don't know but what has been posted on the NWA site doesn't lead me to think that.

Update: Stumbled across this post by Tim Owen that does seem to indicate that the v2 Control Panel will be a requirement to operate the 4th axis accessory. You can read it here.
Last edited by monitoringpost on Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gordread

Post by gordread »

I was really excited when I first saw this. Now I am less so. :(

I really hope that NWA steps up and makes this happen soon. I certainly won't be ordering anything until they demonstrate their ability to deliver.

Gordon

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

Thank you all for the enthusiasm for the 4th axis attachment to the Sharks. We are shipping the kits this week and have the 2.1 manual upgraded to include the 4th axis. But on further review decided that this is a complicated system for someone not versed with lathes. We are creating and will be have a start guide and a Start video that we will put online. This would help streamline peoples setup of the machine. So I wanted this finished in the next couple of days.

studio-n

Post by studio-n »

thank you for the update, Tim.
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner

Ryan Richardson

Post by Ryan Richardson »

Yes, thank you for the updates (both Nick and Tim). Being a woodturner before getting my Black Diamond, I've been anxiously awaiting this attachment and have been following these developments closely.
Ryan Richardson
Brighton, CO USA
http://www.etsy.com/shop/dragonflywoodcrafts

meb

Post by meb »

They are shipping, I have the tracking number and UPS has the package. Estimated delivery to me is Tuesday 04/14/2015.