Using a Laptop Computer

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

DMoore

Using a Laptop Computer

Post by DMoore »

Is anyone using a laptop computer with the Shark? If so, do you have problems with loss of connection? I think the computer is cutting power to the USB port which causes the computer to not recognize the controller box. I've changed every power saving setting I can find to keep power to the USB port but the problem persists. I do not run the Shark with the computer on the battery only. It is always plugged into a power strip. I do not want to spend the money on a desktop computer unless its the only solution to the problem.

***Update***

I gave up with the laptop and bought a desktop pc. No more connection problems. :D For those who are wondering I was using an ASUS notebook. It works well for everything EXCEPT the shark. Thanks to all who sent replies.
Last edited by DMoore on Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bill z

Re: Using a Laptop Computer

Post by bill z »

I'm using a $100.00 Lenovo Thinkpad T30 laptop that only has USB 1.0 built in but I bought a $8.00 PCMCIS USB 2.0 card and everything works great.

Know that different manufactures and different models will have different limits on current draw through the USB ports.

They make a PCMCIA card with an external power adaptor that may help you.

Good luck.

WoodEraser

Post by WoodEraser »

I'm running a Toshiba with Windows 7 and have had no problems.
Do you have another USB port on your lapttop to try ?
Eric the "WoodEraser"
Sun City Center, Florida

If today were perfect there would be no need for tomorrow.

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

I too use a inexpensive gateway laptop bought 4 years ago. Have since I purchased my shark.
"I'm not smart, I just remain on problems longer"
Albert Einstein

Making many BTU by experimentation. ...some days it gets too warm :)

DMoore

Post by DMoore »

I have an ASUS notebook and bought it specifically to use with the Shark. I had an ASUS laptop with windows 7 and didn't have any problems with that computer. This one had windows 8 which I upgraded to 8.1. Keeping the connection has been a problem from day one. I changed all the power saving options which made it less of an issue but still an issue. I just decided to deal with it but I promise you my temper boiled over many times. There are two usb ports (3.0 and 2.0). I use a wireless mouse in one port. After examining the ports I'm thinking the problem is as simple as loose ports. I can wiggle the wireless mouse transmitter in the port and the mouse will disconnect. It looks like buying a new computer is in my future unless someone can suggest a fix for this problem. If someone can save me some money I would be very appreciative.

studio-n

Post by studio-n »

It could be your cable. I use a lap top and unless I tape down the cable end so that it slightly tilts while plugged in
it will lose connection to the controller. I haven't gone to get a better cable, but I'm sure that's the problem with mine.
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

I’m using a Dell XPS and I have never observed a loss of connection after initial connection. However, I sometimes have issues making the initial connection. I’m seeing this issue less frequently after upgrading controller software. This is just a nuisance as cycling power on the controller fixes the issue.

You said you checked the power settings. I’m not sure if USB power management is shown there and this may vary with which OS you are running. Our OS is 8.1. I see a check box in device manager for allowing the computer to turn device off to save power. This check box is located under the power management tab for the devices listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers. My attavhed picture shows this for one of the devices. Note the box is checked in the picture because this is a different computer than the one that runs the "shark".
USB device Settings.jpg
Hope this helps!
…. Rod

lsvien

Post by lsvien »

I am using a Panasonic CF-29 Toughbook. Picked it up on Craigslist. I like it because everything is totally sealed and waterproof so I don't have to worry about dust penetration into the insides. I updated the hard drive to a SSD and am running Windows 7. I never have run into an issue with the USB port turning off. Only issue I have ever had was forgetting to plug in the power and having the laptop run out of juice before the project ended. :o

Have you looked into the BIOS to see if you have a setting there?

clt_capt

Post by clt_capt »

I bought a refurb Lenovo t42 for $150 and I use that. Take it out to the shop when I'm cutting, bring it in the house when I'm drawing...