Lubricating "Y" Axis

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Chiefmedic

Lubricating "Y" Axis

Post by Chiefmedic »

In the past Spray Lubricating the "Y" axis lead screw, provided some lubrication on the lead screw, but more seemed to be sprayed on the bottom of the deck and top of the base. Not only was the lead screw not being lubricated properly, it was making quite a mess over time. So I have improvised a Lubricating System for the "Y" lead screw on my CNC Machine. To use: I attach a can of Boeshield T9 Water Proof Lubricant to the red straw. I then jog the "Y" axis to it's limit and the back, intermittently spraying the lubricant. I do not use a continuous spray, as I have found that the adhesion of the lubricant allows it to stay on the lead screw, and that jogging the lead screw seems to provide a even coat. When I am done, I just place the red straw back in it's holder.

Lead Screw Oiler 1.jpg
Lead Screw Oiler 2.jpg
Lead Screw Oiler 3.jpg

Rando

Re: Lubricating "Y" Axis

Post by Rando »

That looks cool! About how often do you find you have to lube it?

I just use an old toothbrush on a long stick, wet it with the oil, then let it ride along while I jog the gantry through its motions. Not so high tech :(.

Thanks for sharing, Chiefmedic

Regards,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

Chiefmedic

Post by Chiefmedic »

Thom...

I usually lubricate everything every forth time I use the CNC Machine. (This also entails wiping the rail surfaces.) I will usually give the "Y" axis a puff or two of lube in each direction, then jog it, it's entire length a time or two, helping to disperse the lube along the lead screw. I have found that the "Y" lead screw does not gather as much debris as the "X" or the "Z" lead screw.

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

That is an interesting setup!

With my CNC Shark,

I first wipe everything down with an old white sock on my hand (like a sock puppet). This gets all the dirt and grime off of all the lead screws and rails.

I then Vacuum all the chips, dust, fallen material, etc... from all surfaces.

I have a small diameter tubing taped to a small diameter dowel which reaches far enough in under the table to the "y" lead screw. I just pump some lube into the tubing then put the tube end on the lead screw and slide the tube along the top of the lead screw and let gravity flow the lube onto the lead screw. This way also keeps the lube from being sprayed where you do NOT want it thereby conserving it too!!! I then jog the "y" axis from one end of table then back to the other end distributing the lube all along the lead screw. I use the same dowel tubing to lubricate the "x" and "z" axis too!

I usually perform this maintenance operation after about every fourth or fifth cutting operation. This usually also depends upon how extensive the cutting operations have been too!!!

Just a sharing!

Have a GREAT DAY!!! :D

Be SAFE around those AWESOME machines!!! ;)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

tpulley

Post by tpulley »

I think I had read to use a dry lubricant such as graphite. No? Love the set up you have there.
HD4 extended, Vcarve pro 8.5, 4th axis, Laser. Learning everyday...

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

I use a multi purpose spray Lubricant with Teflon.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Chiefmedic

Post by Chiefmedic »

Back in March of this year, I noticed a "Clicking" sound coming from the "X" Linear Bearing Blocks when the spindle assembly would travel. Inspecting the "X" Linear Bearing Block, I found one to have "Flat Spots" on one set of the bearings. I ordered 4 new Linear Bearing Blocks from Glacern Machine Tools. When I ordered the bearings I also inquired about the type of Lubrication they recommend and what they use for "Dusty Environment's" for their Linear Bearing applications. Here is their response.

Thanks for emailing us. Here's the lubrication we really like: Boeshield T9. You can find it on their website (http://boeshield.com/) or on Amazon too (https://www.amazon.com/Boeshield-T-9-Wa ... eshield+T9). Remove the blocks and spray a liberal amount into the bearing tracks on the underside of the blocks.

As for adjustments, our newer blocks have 2 set screws (older blocks have only 1), and you can tighten them if you need to put a bit of pressure or resistance on the sliding blocks -- otherwise we recommend no pressure to let the blocks ride smoothly on the rails.

If you're looking for something to keep dust off the slides the bearings ride on, McMaster has a bunch of different options that could be of use. I'll list some below for you, take a look and hopefully you might find something useful.

Guild Rail Covers & Flat Bellows
http://www.mcmaster.com/#way-covers/=14dberl

Protective Bellows
http://www.mcmaster.com/#protective-bellows/=14dbea9

Enclosed Cable Carriers
http://www.mcmaster.com/#drag-chains/=14dbf7q

Thanks again and feel free to call or email us anytime if we can help with any questions!

Regards,

Tom Walker
The GMT Team
Glacern Machine Tools

www.glacern.com

This is why I have started using the Boeshield - T9 product.

Chiefmedic

bill z

Post by bill z »

Chiefmedic,

Thanks for all of the links. I was trying to find a really good lubricant. I had tried several and had issues with most.

I like this idea using the tube to lubricate the Y axis. Really simple. I was not looking forward to disassembling the top to clean and lubricate then going to the hassle of aligning and leveling it again, then again every few cuts. I want the machine to work for me, not me work for it.

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Here is a photo of the lubricating tube I use. I failed to post it in my earlier thread, sorry!
oil_tube_resized_1.jpg
Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554