2hp Spindle Pump and Flow Indicator

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

ffloyd

2hp Spindle Pump and Flow Indicator

Post by ffloyd »

I have been using the 2hp spindle on my HD520 for about 2 years. Today when I turned on the system, the flow indicator would not spin. Further I am detecting an unusual sound from the submersible pump. On inspection, there is water moving through the system as the return line does have water coming out of it. I am in Southern California, so cold weather is not much of a problem. I have distilled water running through the lines with a little bit of RV anti-freeze.

Anyone had similar problems? If so, what is the solution?
Fred
Shark HD520, JTech Laser, 4thAxis
Aspire v11.5

ffloyd

Re: 2hp Spindle Pump and Flow Indicator

Post by ffloyd »

I bought a new pump and new flow indicator. The problem apparently was the flow indicator as it would not turn around even though water was flowing. I replaced both pump and flow indicator. The problem is now resolved.

The old pump still works, so I saved it for the next disaster. The flow indicator was no good. That piece is available on Amazon Prime. I purchased another one to have on hand to avoid production delays.
Fred
Aspire v11.5

ffloyd

Re: 2hp Spindle Pump and Flow Indicator

Post by ffloyd »

Today, the pump stopped pumping (again) and the spindle has overheated. Now it is still spinning up but making excessive noise. I suspect the overheating caused damage to the spindle motor. Time for a replacement????
Fred
Aspire v11.5