spindle coolant

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Gearhead123

spindle coolant

Post by Gearhead123 »

I just inherited a old Shark CNC, HD3 I believe, and it has the spindle motor instead of a router. The coolant lines run to a bucket with a small pump. What cooling liquid would you recommend and at what flow? Water, distilled water, ethylene glycol?

Poptime

Re: spindle coolant

Post by Poptime »

Distilled water is probably the most suitable. It must be maintained regularly. I use Propylene Glycol Inhibited in my chiller since my shop could be subject to freezing temp on occasion.

Gearhead123

Post by Gearhead123 »

Thank you! I'll try the distilled water.

Bob

Post by Bob »

I use RV Antifreeze (Propylene Glycol) in my spindle. It is made with pink dye in it to indicate that it's relatively nontoxic. RV Antifreeze is recommended by the manufacturer. I don't need to thin it with water. It is ready to use directly from the bottle.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

gmm50

Post by gmm50 »

We are a heavy user. We have 4,000 hours on our spindle. We are located in 88049 New Mexico, 6000 ft. Temp of highs in the 100+F in the summer and lows of 10-20 in the winter

We added a temp controlled cooling unit because we make 4 to 6 hour runs. Unattended.

We selected distilled water and antifreeze 50/50 as the coolant mix.

The equipment is in an unheated, uninsulated building.

This all works quite well and I feel we have some margin for temp extremes.

George
George

mtlakejim

Post by mtlakejim »

Has anyone heard if they are going to offer a water cooled spindle for the RS 1000pro router system?? Seems like the logical next step in router table evolution to me. My Bosch motor works but really isn't DESIGNED to work UNDER a table inside of a dust collection box at that!!

In fact, I can see a lot of people retrofitting their tables and lifts if someone would make a proper sized motor that will fit current market of lifts!!