First Real 4th Axis Project

Everything 4th Axis

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

studio-n

First Real 4th Axis Project

Post by studio-n »

I'm starting off slow so I can get use to rotary machining so for a first project I decided to turn a pen with a 3d model.
The first was my prototype of a pole dancer on a dowel rod to work out the offsets and such. The others are the finished pen in Granidillo.
This is going to open up a whole bunch of new box work for me. Oh, I should point out that just like my engraved lighters the height on the figure is only
0.05". The higher it is, the more uncomfortable it is to actually write with. Cheers!
-Nick
photo-1 7.33.53 AM.JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner

John Shaw

Re: First Real 4th Axis Project

Post by John Shaw »

Nick
I am also a pen turner and therefore interested in your method. Did drill and install the brass tube before using the CNC? What bit did you use, etc.

studio-n

Post by studio-n »

hello. Yes the pen blank is drilled and the brass tube installed. This is a wall street II kit, so it uses a 27/64" bit.
It is mounted in the same mandrel I would normally use on the lathe. Picture is attached. cheers!
IMG_1432.jpg
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner

ffloyd

Post by ffloyd »

I am new to the 4th axis. Just got the standard 4th axis and discovered that the headstock doesn't take #2 Morse Taper. Removing the jaws from the chuck allows me to grab a mandrel as shown in Nick's photos. This has provided a workaround for the lack of a MT2 taper on the headstock.
Fred
Shark HD520, JTech Laser, 4thAxis
Aspire v11.5