Control software not seeing 4th axis

Everything 4th Axis

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

meb

Control software not seeing 4th axis

Post by meb »

I contacted Next Wave Support about my problem of the 4th axis not being available in the software. The response was that I had to update the control panel to the latest control software that was Control Panel 1.6!!!!

I know they are new to the 4th axis as all of us are but they should know that Control Panel 2.1 is required if you want to use the 4th axis.

Now to my problem: I have installed the driver module in the control box. I have Control Panel 2.1 build 14 and Control Firmware 2083 installed. I have registered the software, the Shark, the touch plate, the probe, and the 4th axis. If I check registration information in the software it shows that everything is registered. I do not get an enable 4th axis box in the software so I can not even jog the 4th axis. Since I sent the last registration online I have not been able to check for updates or send a new registration file on line. I did send a registration file by email and the registration numbers emailed back match the numbers in the software.

Any ideas?

meb

Re: Control software not seeing 4th axis

Post by meb »

I forgot to mention that when the control box is turned on it engages the 4th axis like it does on the X, Y and Z axises so it has control of the stepper motor.

Ronwoodson2

Post by Ronwoodson2 »

There is a newer release--Version 2.1 release 16. It has most known bugs fixed, as I understand it.

I just checked my control panel, and when I turn it on, there is a checkbox near the bottom left of the screen
to enable virtual, and to the immediate right, a checkbox to enable the a axis. Once I enable the a axis,
options are available to jog the a axis plus or minus..
This doesn't solve your problem, but may shed some light on what you should be seeing.

Good luck
Ron Woodson
Somerset ,Ky
Ronwoodson2@aol.com

meb

Post by meb »

Ronwoodson2 wrote:There is a newer release--Version 2.1 release 16. It has most known bugs fixed, as I understand it.

I just checked my control panel, and when I turn it on, there is a checkbox near the bottom left of the screen
to enable virtual, and to the immediate right, a checkbox to enable the a axis. Once I enable the a axis,
options are available to jog the a axis plus or minus..
This doesn't solve your problem, but may shed some light on what you should be seeing.

Good luck
Well that lets me know that there is another update that I don't have and of course the software will not let me download it.

I am charging my other lap top that I use on my other Shark with 1.5 Control Panel and will try installing the 2.1 Control Panel on it and re-register everything to see if that solves the problem.

Thanks for the information.

Ronwoodson2

Post by Ronwoodson2 »

You should be able to download by clicking on check for updates under the help menu--that is if you have an
internet connection while also connected to your control panel.
Ron Woodson
Somerset ,Ky
Ronwoodson2@aol.com

meb

Post by meb »

Ronwoodson2 wrote:You should be able to download by clicking on check for updates under the help menu--that is if you have an
internet connection while also connected to your control panel.
That is another problem I am having with the Control Panel 2.1 software. As I said after registering the 4ht axis online I have not been able to register or re-register on line , just by email, and I can not check for updates. I can use the links to get to the store and links for other messages but can't use the important links in the Control Panel.

meb

Post by meb »

Next Wave tech support still has not emailed me back so I uninstalled the Control Panel 2.1 software and reinstalled it and updated to the newest version 2.1 build 16 scan. I am now able to check for updates and I re-submitted registration information for software, Shark, Touch plate, Probe, and the 4th axis online. It returned the same registration information except for the Shark. It still did not give me an activation box for the 4th axis. I restarted the computer and reopened the Control Panel and still no box for the 4th axis.

Here is a screen shot of the Control Panel:
v2.1 build 16scan_web.jpg

Ronwoodson2

Post by Ronwoodson2 »

I only have one more idea....check to make sure you are clicking the icon for version 2.1. The program adds a new icon for version 2.1 but does not remove older version icons, and it is very easy to click on the wrong one.
Ron Woodson
Somerset ,Ky
Ronwoodson2@aol.com

meb

Post by meb »

Ronwoodson2 wrote:I only have one more idea....check to make sure you are clicking the icon for version 2.1. The program adds a new icon for version 2.1 but does not remove older version icons, and it is very easy to click on the wrong one.
Got it figured out I think!

I spent some time on the phone and the shop computer with Next Wave Support and he had me try several things, then he talked to the software guy, then tried a few more things, then talked to the software guy again and tried several more things. He finally sent me an email with all my serial numbers and had me copy and paste to re-register everything. It just returned the same keys and still did not solve the problem.

It was too late by this time to call Next Wave Support back and I had said something about it might be the computer when talking to them so I started looking at the computer settings. Changing the screen resolution had no effect. Then I checked the task bar settings and set the task bar to auto hide, it did nothing. Then I closed the Control Panel and re-opened it, I got the enable boxes. Checked the AAxis box and went to the jog panel, I had the jog buttons for the AAxis and they worked.
I un-checked the AAxis box and closed the Control Panel, re-set the task bar setting to stay visible, re-opened the Control Panel and did not have the enable boxes.

So that must have solved that problem!

When I was talking with Next Wave Support he said that the AAxis should not connect to the control box until the Enable AAxis is checked but mine connects to the control box when it is turned on just like the X, Y and Z axises connect. This seems normal to me but he and the computer guy said there was a patch added to make sure the AAxis did not connect to the control box until the Enable AAxis box is checked.

What is your AAxis doing when the control box is turned on?

I forgot to say Next Wave Support and computer department did help me eliminate some of the things that could have been wrong. It was just the Gateway computer I am using right now to run the Shark, never did like Gateway!

Ronwoodson2

Post by Ronwoodson2 »

Great to hear that your system is working. Best of luck and good carving to you.

I checked my a-axis. Without it being enabled, the stepper for the a-axis still gets warm to the touch.
Of course, I cannot jog or carve until it is enabled. So, power is transmitted to the stepper, but
communication is disabled. This explanation is not very technical, but that is how it seems to work.
Ron Woodson
Somerset ,Ky
Ronwoodson2@aol.com