Dust Collection/Chip Control Std 4th Axis HD520

Everything 4th Axis

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

ffloyd

Dust Collection/Chip Control Std 4th Axis HD520

Post by ffloyd »

I have an HD520 with standard 4th axis.
The dust boot doesn't catch much. I have looked around for a solution, but so far nothing has come up. I did see one person who put up a 5 inch high "wall" on either side of the spindle. This seems t keep the dust mostly confined to that area. I am running the 4th axis along the Y-axis. I am just wondering if there is a better solution to get my dust collector to pick up the chips. On a long carve, the amount of chips builds up quite a bit.
Fred
Shark HD520, JTech Laser, 4thAxis
Aspire v11.5

sharkcutup

Re: Dust Collection/Chip Control Std 4th Axis HD520

Post by sharkcutup »

There is really not a whole you can do because of the limitations of the raised 4th Axis and the area surrounding the router/Spindle.

My only recommendation is to periodically clean up chips with a Shop Vac.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

ffloyd

Re: Dust Collection/Chip Control Std 4th Axis HD520

Post by ffloyd »

The dust boot doesn't catch the chips because the skirt does not reach the workpiece. I saw one user employing acrylic "fences" on either side of the machine and decided to try it. I just used a 5 or so inch high fence made from scrap 1/4" melamine. Just be sure that the Z=axis carriage clears the fence. This kept the chips in a more confined area. The dust boot to catch the fine dust that is otherwise all over everything.
Fred
Shark HD520, JTech Laser, 4thAxis
Aspire v11.5