iPad Stand with Shark Pro (with plans)

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Astrowood

iPad Stand with Shark Pro (with plans)

Post by Astrowood »

Simple project but the shark works well for this. An iPad stand from Purpleheart for my wife. Now making a Cocobolo version for myself.

Last edited by Astrowood on Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tim Owens

Re: iPad Stand with Shark Pro

Post by Tim Owens »

nice.
Do you want to share that I could always use an Ipad stand.

Tim

Astrowood

Re: iPad Stand with Shark Pro

Post by Astrowood »

Sure, I could do that.

My biggest issue with the design so far has been that the interlocking joints that I used tend to loosen a bit when the parts are surface sanded after cutting them out.
If one uses my design files, I would suggest planing the initial stock slightly thick (maybe .01-.02 or so) and increasing the setup thickness and cut depth accordingly.
Then, if the joints still turn out a bit too narrow to slide together after surface sanding, either surface sand a bit more or shave the slots a bit by hand (probably with just a sharp chisel) to fit exactly .

I just made a second version for myself out of Bolivian Rosewood (the Cocobolo I had was a bit too warped).
I modified the design a bit to allow use with larger and thicker iPad cases.
Files are attached. I would, of course, suggest running some scrap or mdf before you try this on real material.
It works for me but I am still learning the machine and SW so no guarantees! <g>

Attachments
iPad Side Curved Nested w Note.crv
(67 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
iPad Base Curved w Note.crv
(37.5 KiB) Downloaded 429 times

Astrowood

Re: iPad Stand with Shark Pro (with plans)

Post by Astrowood »

Finally, I ran a test of a simpler version using Walnut. This is still a work in progress.
Mainly I wanted to simplify the build so went to a mortise and tenon joint instead.
It is much simpler to build. I am in the process of creating one with the Apple logo
inlaid on both sides of the cross piece as well as making it possible to cut most
of the parts from one 12 x 5 1/2 x 1/2 inch piece and allowing more clearance for
the dock connector and cable when in portrait mode. I should have a more final version
to post by Mid December. Since it is cleaner to roll my Shark on it's cabinet stand
outside on the driveway to use, I will need to wait until it stops raining and snowing! <g>

Astrowood

Post by Astrowood »

OK, here is the more or less final version. Smaller so the main parts are cut from one 1/2 x 5 1/2 x 12 inch piece.
More vertical clearance for the dock connector as well. This version was done in Bocote and Oak with a
simple natural Watco oil since the Bocote is too oily to take a solvent based finish easily.

Attached .crv file includes only the dark parts, the light parts that contain the logo have been omitted for Apple
copyright purposes although anyone with basic knowledge of Vcarve can easily find an Apple logo on the web
and do their own. I cut both logo parts (there is one in each oak piece, front and back) from a single 1/4 x 2 x 13 inch
piece. The Oak parts form the shoulders of the tenon once glued to the center Bocote.

Attachments
iPad Small Mortised Nested for Forum.crv
(123 KiB) Downloaded 398 times

Astrowood

Post by Astrowood »

Another done in Cocobolo - what a pain to work with!

Last edited by Astrowood on Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Astrowood

Post by Astrowood »

Finally, another done in Boilvian Rosewood with a "Bed Plate" to allow it to sit firmly on a mattress w/o tipping.

I think this completes the evolution of these, I have one more to make for my son and I will move on to other projects!

At least a number of my non-woodworker friends will benefit from gifted development models!