Military Tribute

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Keith Hodges

Military Tribute

Post by Keith Hodges »

Was requested to make a box shaped like Marine Gunnery Sergeant stripes, as a going away present to a supervisor of the local Marine unit stationed nearby. So, after tinkering with the idea, came up with the box in the photo. Simple, but fun to do. Everyone loves it. Hope the Marine Sergeant does as well. He was reassigned to another assignment before I could get it finished, so the men in his unit will send it to him. Its Cherry, 8 inches by 13 inches, by 3 inches. Not sure what he's going to put in it, anything he wants I guess.
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

jimsr1959

Re: Military Tribute

Post by jimsr1959 »

Looks great.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Great work,sure he'll appreciate it.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

basecircle

Post by basecircle »

"Hoooorah" Keith great job.I like the design.I myself being a Marine veteran and I might have to make myself one (If ya don't mind) Basecircle

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. Don't mind at all Basecircle, you know what they say, immitation is the greatest form of flattery.
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).

BillK

Post by BillK »

Keith,

Very nice work! The bottom looks like a few stacked profile cut outs? Did you Aspire the top?
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

It was all v carve pro. The bottom was pocketed, and the other pieces profiled. The top was just pockets around the stripes, then profile cuts. I drilled a couple alignment holes for dowels, flipped the top, and v carved the underside design, then profile cuts. Really pretty simple, and fun project.

basecircle

Post by basecircle »

Thanks Keith I will give it a shot.As long as ya don't make me drop and give you twenty push ups.(After one Sir I would have another heart attack) Thanks Basecircle

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

No, this is all for stress release, which is heart healthy stuff. So no push-ups here!

shadetre

Post by shadetre »

I love that idea and as a Marine, '71-'80, I would love to attempt to make one for myself as well if you have no objection. I am VERY new to CNC work so I don't anticipate being able to accomplish this any time too soon. Semper Fi Basecircle.