Two 6 foot long tiled jobs

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

BillK

Two 6 foot long tiled jobs

Post by BillK »

Here are two recently completed tiled 6 foot long pieces.

The RESPONSIBILITY sign is carved on pvc trim board 1/2" thick. I used contact paper to carve through and provide the mask for the paint. I find that the contact paper works best when you cut it with a 90 degree V-bit. This might have to do with the shear angle for the paper. This had a flat bottom depth of .2, so it was rezeroed each tile which I set at 20 inches with a 1 inch overlap as I first used the V- bit then an end mill.

The second ruler, height gauge is pine. This was also cut through contact paper. I use one coat of water based polycrylic then sand and this both seals and gives a good adherence surface for the contact paper. This was only cut with a V-bit and the same tile size. I did not rezero, and probably should have as the letters cut a little deep on the third tile due to the wood thickness variation, but its acceptable.

In both cases I used Marsh spray ink. The pine was overcoated with one coat of gloss polycrylic.
image.jpg
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

basecircle

Re: Two 6 foot long tiled jobs

Post by basecircle »

Great job Bill.They both came out great.I have a 8ft.sign I have to get on.So the 2n tile job to do. Basecircle

robthowells

Post by robthowells »

Nice They look great!!

BillK

Post by BillK »

Thanks!
BillK

rsetina

Post by rsetina »

Amazing work. I like the ruler. I have a 16 month old granddaughter. I should have made one by now but haven't. I better get to it since she 34 inches tall already and I'll probably need the 6 foot ruler.
Rick

mmatarella

Post by mmatarella »

I've tried the contact paper with very poor results. The only contact paper I can find is very low tack, not much more than a 'post-it' note. Is this what you use? I not only have big chunks come off, but they wrap around the bit and get sucked into the dust collection. I've had moderate success on smaller pieces with wide blue painters tape, as long as it's large text like that, no small detail.

If that's what you use, what's the state of the surface of the wood? Just sanded 220 or something? Poly or other coating? I'm trying to figure out why this seems to work for so many others. My last guess is to wonder if my bit is dull, and tearing instead of cutting the paper even though the wood cuts look good.

Thanks for any ideas,
Mark

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

I use oracle 813 from Signwarehouse or use Avery never had luck with oracle 813. Put a coat or two of finish on first let dry than apply the mask, make sure it's down good and use sharp bits.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

BillK

Post by BillK »

Mark,

I used plain shelf contact paper from Home Depot. Peel the backing off and stick it on the surface. Held great on the pvc with no other preparation except to make sure it was dust free.

On the wood I used just one coat of Minwax Polyacrylic finish which is a water based product. It drys quickly. Due to the water, it raises the wood fibers. I sand that lightly with 120 grit, just a little more than a wiping to get a smooth surface. Again, get all the dust off, I use compressed air. Apply the contact slowly, wipe all the bubbles to the edge. Watch your clamping so that it doesn't force the paper up.

Again, I find the 90 degree V-bit cuts the paper the best. A 60 degree tended to lift it more. A straight end mill is also not good.

Check it again before you spray it with the quick drying ink. Light sprays work best.
BillK