UK acrylic

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

mchurchf

UK acrylic

Post by mchurchf »

I made an acrylic for a friend and now it seems to be a hot request. It is a 6x6 which seems to be a nice desk top size for someone at work. This is made with a 1/8 in ballnose and a depthof .006. The problem I have is what to charge for them? I probably have $15 invested with the power supply, acylic and wood. Any suggestions? I make friends for cost and family for free just because i enjoy it but I should start start making a little beer money.
Attachments
uk.jpg

bill z

Re: UK acrylic

Post by bill z »

LED Lighted acrylic signs are going between $30.00 and $130.00 on ebay. Try $75. and allow to give discounts.

Go there and look for led acrylic signs

mchurchf

Post by mchurchf »

I'll take a look, thanks.

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

I agree with Bill! I sell a few illuminated Acrylic panel's in my online store. http://www.customgraphictransformations ... els_c4.htm
I would charge more for custom work.

I add a couple cautions! Your UK panel may be considered copyrighted material. This would come in to play if you sell them. If it is copyrighted you may be able to get written permission. Better to be safe. Be careful of local sales tax collection laws too.

Your carving/engraving looks good. I recommend your round the upper corners and polish the edge to make them even better. This is best done upfront of carving while the protective paper is still on the Acrylic. I found you can use a sharp knife with a heavy back bone and drag it on the edge to clean up the edge. If the edge is real rough sand it a little first. Sometimes I buff the edge with a bench buffer and abrasive stick to get a high polished edge. Though good knife technique is often is good enough. I clamp my Acrylic panel in a padded vise when dragging the knife.

I you get into making more signs get yourself a Mini Sign Contractors Pricing Guide.
http://www.signwritersusa.com/guides.html

Have a great Day!

... Rod

mchurchf

Post by mchurchf »

I didn't think about the copyrights, I better check into it. Most of the things i have done has been gifts or at cost of supplies. I tried sanding the edges and using a torch but really havent had much success getting a nice smooth edge. A lot of my trouble comes from trying to hurry.

stewali

Post by stewali »

i have been riding these for awhile but can't seem to get the letting fill in to light up any info on this would be helpfully. all of the rest of the sign looks good.

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

I'm not sure this is a problem. I'll try not to get to technical. This is the natural of how light is traveling thru the translucent material When you cut with your tool the edge of the tool is creating a surface for the light to reflect on. With edge lighting the light is coming from the edge. In your example only the bottom edge. The area you pocked out only has the edge of the cut except for the surface roughness. I see evidence of the surface actually picking up a little light and those area are brighter than the uncarved areas. With the lights turned of you see the opposite effect because the light is coming from the direction of the camera.

Note also that the angle of that edge can behave like a prism and change the direction of the light you can see this in your picture where it looks like the edge of U/K are brighter. So if you were using a 90 deg V-bit a good portion of the light would be transmitted at 90 deg or towards the front. Also note that the horizontal edges are brighter than the vertical ones. Again the light sourse is the bottom edge.

Now I haven't actually tried this. But I think you could fine tune the visual effect by carving a texture in the pocket area.

I hope this is helpful.

Have a great weekend!

... Rod

stewali

Post by stewali »

what I was looking for is do u need to cut the large uk area differently. because mine doesnot light up like the rest of the engraving. I see other people are getting there large areas to light up.

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

I addressed this in my post and suggested some things to try. You need to understand how light travels through the media. Think of it like a prism.

... Rod

Danansmith

Post by Danansmith »

Interesting, that sounds good! :D
popular bubble football:Bubble soccer