Like to see a video using the probe on here!

How-to videos on the CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Michael Rytter

Like to see a video using the probe on here!

Post by Michael Rytter »

Title says it all! (LOL!)

A learning tutorial on setting up and using the probe would be a great help. So far I haven't been able to find much info on this. If I am overlooking some available info included in the package I recieved with the Pro Plus, could somebody let me know please?

Tks,
Michael Rytter

spinningwood

Re: Like to see a video using the probe on here!

Post by spinningwood »

Hi Michael - The probe is pretty easy to use. Operating instructions can be found here:

http://cncshark.com/Downloads/ProbeOperationManual.pdf

Is there a specific question you have?

In a nutshell:

Assume a virtual box exists (x , y dimension) around whatever you are scanning. You zero x and y at the lower left corner of of the box. You move the probe up to a point where the tip is slightly higher than the highest point on the object and zero z. In the scan panel set X and Y to the distance you want the proble to scan (e.g. if the imaginary box around what you are scanning is 4 inches square, then you put 4 for x and y in the scan panel). If the distance from z zero (which is slightly above the high point of your object) to the depth you want to scan is 1.6" then you put 1.6" for Z in the scan panel).

I do very high resolution scans at .005 x .005 x 10 ipm. It takes a loooooong time to scan a big object, but the results are spectacular. A scan at .05 x .05 x 30 ipm goes a whole lot faster but won't have much fine detail. Picking the right settings here will depend on what you are scanning and is something you will just have to get a feel for.

Sorry, no video. If it helps, try waving your hands while reading the above. You can pretend the reflection you see in the monitor is a video of me.....

Ed

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

One other important caution.

Get real comfortable with jogging the shark before you mount your probe. Ramming the probe into something (e.g. the table or a clamp) will ruin your day!

MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG YOUR ROUTER BEFORE YOU MOUNT THE PROBE!!! I know you think you would never turn on the router right before you press the scan button.......you would be surprised. Powering up the router with the probe installed will cause all sorts of exciting things to happen. None of which will likely make you happy...

Ed

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

One last (I hope) caution. If what you are scanning has undercuts and angled surfaces, be careful that you will not scan into a tight "V" where the tip of the probe might get caught.

You can usually work around this problem by carefully orienting the piece to be scanned. Sometimes you have to fill the undercut with putty or something to prevent a probe catch.

Ed

Michael Rytter

Post by Michael Rytter »

Thanks Ed! (And funny guy, too! LOL!) (re.Wave my arms...reflection in the monitor...!)

Awesome! That is everything I needed. I just wasn't sure....I had visions of the probe going too low and breaking it. (Or ramming it into something while jogging, like you mention) So as far as Z, you just need to set the high point? That makes sense now.

Thankyou!
Michael Rytter

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

Michael,

I have been producing the Shark Demo videos seen here.

I recently got my probe in and will be doing a demo video in the near future.

Ralph

Michael Rytter

Post by Michael Rytter »

Thanks Ralph! I am looking forward to it!

Hobbyist1015

Post by Hobbyist1015 »

Hi Ralph,

Just wondering if you made that video on the scan probe yet. I would also love to know how to cut in 3d using the probe. Thanks so much!

Hobbyist :)

Bob

Post by Bob »

"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)