Ambient operating temp. ?cold?

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

danconroysr

Ambient operating temp. ?cold?

Post by danconroysr »

I'm a new guy here. New to my Shark.
I'm set up in my garage-wood shop. Winter is on it's way..(in Michigan). I have a console heater that I keep things above freezing with, but need to know what kind of low temperatures the Shark system can tolerate. I can keep the machine and controls at about 45deg.if I have to, on real cold days/nights ,but it all costs $$$$$. My shop power equipment tolerates the cool temps along with my shop computer and tv/ monitor. I am out there working (if you call it work)thru most winter days. I have covered it with canvas with a heat lamp under the mobile rack it's on. Just don't want to either ruin it...or spend the extra $$$ for xtra heat if I don't need to. I just don't know how touchy the controller is.
Power wise I use a large 20amp. power conditioner and double ground faults on the electrical....and can keep it all on if I need to.
Anyone have any experience with all of this?

Thanks for any input
dan conroy
KD8SPD

milo30

Re: Ambient operating temp. ?cold?

Post by milo30 »

Mine is out in unheated garage all winter. I use a space heater for me when out there. Granted I am in Texas but it gets down to single digits. You might want to put an infrared heater on it to warm up the lube before using in bad cold.

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

Lubrication is the key. When everything gets stiff enough so the motors can not overcome the friction, the Controller will keep sending signals to move here and there, but the motors can not keep up. For me, down to ten degrees was doable, only if, the friction was minimized.
Last edited by McBuster on Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

Christyk35

Post by Christyk35 »

I thought it had to be above 50. Being from MI also, I had the old chicken coop foam sealed, installed a lp wall heater and walaa, I'm ready to go! Lol, just kidding, I have no idea how to use this machine.

Overwhelmed in MI

Christine Knieper

milo30

Post by milo30 »

Christyk35 wrote:I thought it had to be above 50. Being from MI also, I had the old chicken coop foam sealed, installed a lp wall heater and walaa, I'm ready to go! Lol, just kidding, I have no idea how to use this machine.

Overwhelmed in MI

Christine Knieper
It only seems overwhelming. You take it one step at a time and it comes pretty quickly. The secret is to use the vectric training videos and go slow until the lightbulb comes on

Christyk35

Post by Christyk35 »

The light bulb still has not came on, is there anyone in Michigan that is willing to show me? Or close to Michigan? :)

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Christyk35,

Have you looked at the map to see who you are close to? http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=395 Where are you from?

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

Jsim

Post by Jsim »

Also, as a new 60th Anniversary Shark Pro user, and also a Texas resident, I've found that my Oil Filler Radiant Heater works just fine. When not in use on the colder days and nights, I keep the thermostat setting and heat dial just above the lowest setting to maintain an acceptable temperature to protect the system and my laptop. I have my system in a separate 8' x 8' LOWE's built utility building and find it to be just right to work in, especially after installing electric/breakers/receptacles, lighting, small exhaust fan, air vents(covered in the winter on the outside) and installation all around and overhead. I made sure, during the on-site construction of the building to insulate the floor also.
simo

joethegasman

Post by joethegasman »

Christyk35 wrote:The light bulb still has not came on, is there anyone in Michigan that is willing to show me? Or close to Michigan? :)

I had to make sure the light bulb was screwed all the way in before it would light up! :P

Now it keps changing colors, from red to green to yellow to red. Oh, wait a minute, thats the traffic light on the corner...... DANG! :oops:

I'm now a month into this journey, just keep putzing with it and experimenting I figure out new things with it on a semi-routine basis now.

:D :D :D

tlstepfree

Post by tlstepfree »

As to shop temp, that is a personal choice one needs to make for themselves I would think. If your preference is to be on the cool or warm side is yours to make, but the wise person would keep this in mind," moisture ", most shop equipment has a low tolerance to it, cast iron in particular. Both my shops are both insulated, heated, air conditioned, and dehumidified. Stored wood also makes a good dehumidifier as well, working in conjunction will keep out the wet! I use a 18,000 BTU AC/Heater keep the temp under control with a separate dehumidifier. My costs for heating and cooling are minimal. We all have a small fortune in equipment and rust will drive me nuts. For the most part your shop should at least be keep above the due point to prevent the red stuff at bay.