Battery UPS/Surge sizing

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

hanksor

Battery UPS/Surge sizing

Post by hanksor »

What would be the minimum size UPS/Surge Protector that one should use for a Shark Slimline?
Hank
I've cut it three times and it's still too short.....
CNC Shark Slimline

bill z

Re: Battery UPS/Surge sizing

Post by bill z »

If all you are wanting it isolation and not to ride through a power outage, then a 12 amp UPS or larger is all you should need. The 12 amp UPS are what are used for desk top computers and can be purchased relatively cheaply.

Next Wave told me that the power outlet for the router has a 10 amp fast blow fuse, so anything just a little larger than that should work.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

I use a 1500VA Sine Wave UPS. I chose the Sine Wave version because motors do funny things sometimes when powered by square wave or "semi-sine" wave or stepped square wave. I never have done any time testing but I should have a few minutes to make my way to the shop during a power outage and have a controlled power down to preserve the integrity of the project being cut.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

Doghouse

Post by Doghouse »

FYI
A UPS is different from a battery backup.
A ups takes in power to charge the batteries and the battery power is then converted into a pulse wave or sine wave to power the equipment. This provides the most consistent voltage.
A battery backup powers the devices and in the event of a failure switched over to the batteries. There can be a few milliseconds where the is no power while it switches over. Also the voltage can vary quite a bit when on line power.

Just so you can be aware when you decide what to purchase.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

I think generally speaking most people refer to UPS units as a "battery backup" simply because it contains batteries that are used to generate the power when the line goes out. On my camera surveillance system I have a true "battery backup" in that it is putting out the same regulated DC voltage when the power goes out as when it was powered by the line, there is no switch over time involved. With the Shark you can't really do a battery back up because you have an AC router motor involved that you have to have an AC voltage for. So, since you have to generate AC anyway you might as well power everything with the AC. If you have a Laptop computer though, I would just plug it into the line that goes out. The battery of the Laptop will take care of the computer longer than the UPS is going to run the router motor and it might give you just a bit more time to get to the shop and shut everything down.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com