New Shark Pro HD

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

kruizer

New Shark Pro HD

Post by kruizer »

I have jumped of a really tall cliff and signed on the dotted line for the new Shark Pro HD. It looks like this is the right place to find some support if it is needed. The machine will be here this week and an enclosure will have to be built for it. I am a total newbie to CNC woodworking so there will, no doubt, be quite a learning curve and I surely will have a lot of questions in the future. Thanks in advance for being here.
kruizer

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: New Shark Pro HD

Post by jeb2cav »

Welcome and good luck with your new adventure. The single most important thing you can do now, and even after you receive the machine, is to work your way through the VCarve tutorials. By that I mean watching them, and then seeing if you can duplicate the process on your own. This forum, along with the Vectric forum, has a lot of good participants as well...

kruizer

Post by kruizer »

Well, it is Sunday Nov 6 and my Shark is not here yet. :( In the mean time I have been doing a lot of reading and surfing and finding a lot of negatives about this machine and the way it is built. As a retired mold maker and machinist, I am disappointed with the issues regarding parallelism and perpendicularity and am not looking forward to trying to correct them. It appears that I am going to be starting with a machine issues before I ever get started with the challenge of learning to draw and program this machine. Ah well, life is full of challenges I guess. I trust that you will all be able to offer hints and tips to this end :roll: On the positive side, I have managed to draw and program some Vcarve stuff and pocket milling stuff so all is not bad.
kruizer

Joraft

Post by Joraft »

kruizer wrote:
Well, it is Sunday Nov 6 and my Shark is not here yet ...
I'm waiting for news on mine too. I pre-ordered mine in early October, so expect it will be one of the first to ship.

I know they weren't officially releaesd until Nov.1, but I don't know if that means they left NWA for the Rockler warehouse on the 1st, or if they were already at Rockler waiting for the 1st to ship (which would make more sense).

Either way, since I'm on the West Coast I don't expect my machine for at least a few weeks. But an update from Rockler would be nice. :D
John

Joraft

Post by Joraft »

Joraft wrote:
I'm waiting for news on mine too. I pre-ordered mine in early October, so expect it will be one of the first to ship.

I know they weren't officially releaesd until Nov.1, but I don't know if that means they left NWA for the Rockler warehouse on the 1st, or if they were already at Rockler waiting for the 1st to ship (which would make more sense).

Either way, since I'm on the West Coast I don't expect my machine for at least a few weeks. But an update from Rockler would be nice. :D
I just called the Rockler store, and the HDs are in the Rockler warehouse and will be going out this week. Image
John

GARYR6

Post by GARYR6 »

Don't jump off any cliffs, at least till your new toys get there. The mass majority of us owners are very happy with the value to dollar ratio of our sharks.
Are there better machine......yes.
Do they cost more.....YES
Will it do 99% of everything you want to do...... yes.
IS it perfect, no.
Some machines have a few problems but most of the solutions are simple and well defined here.
Oh,I do believe some our users enjoy figuring out how to correct a few 10000 of an inch more than they actually need the correction. The HD is by far the best of the group. I am sure will be hip deep in saw dust soon.

We will know its you cause you will be the one with the smile on your face.

SPH01

Post by SPH01 »

Has anyone gotten an update on shipping? I was just told my new date is Nov 17th. Ordered on October 22nd.
I was hoping to use it this weekend. (may rain all weekend sounded like a good idea)

Bosch 1617EVS, precision collets, Kent CNC dust boot, New table, all just staring at me.

Joraft

Post by Joraft »

SPH01 wrote:
... Bosch 1617EVS, precision collets, Kent CNC dust boot, New table, all just staring at me.
Sounds like you're as ready as you can be. :D

I was told by the Rockler store in Cincinnati that the machines should be shipping out of the Rockler warehouse this week.

It would be nice if someone at Rockler headquarters would drop in and give us an update.
John

kruizer

Post by kruizer »

I just got a call from our Rockler saying that my machine has arrived. Now all I need to know is do I load the software over that trial downloads that are on my computer now or is there something I need to do before hand.
kruizer

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

You have to install the software from the DVDs you received with your Shark. I don't know all the ins and outs, but it seems to be the result of the fully functional trial software - vice the licensed kind.

I would recommend you uninstall your trial versions before installing the licensed. Not a requirement, but good housekeeping for your computer and a murphy's law minimizer (from my perspective).

The license codes on the software packages will fully unlock these. I recommend you send a note to Vectric support about your purchase, providing them your NWA user names and license codes. They will send you back a new license user name (yours and includes your email) and a new license code to go with that. The bonus here is that then gets you in their mailing list and update cycle (and reduced pricing for upgrades when and if the time comes).

In the end, if you do none of this, installing the software and using the licenses provided will fully unlock and will work just fine.