Controller or Software Issues?

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

JoeAhoy

Controller or Software Issues?

Post by JoeAhoy »

I just got the new Shark Pro Plus. I run VIsta and downloaded the necessary files and drivers and updated the Net 3.5 framework. When I run the shark control panel, I cannot Jog in the X or Z axis. The Y axis works fine. I wanted to see if there was something wrong with the cables, so I switched the Y cable with the X and then was able to move the X axis by pressing the Y controls on the shark jog control panel. Same thing with the Z.

I then uninstalled all the software and reloaded it and the same thing.

Can someone give some direction on what I can try next --- it is Saturday or I would have a call into Rockler or Nextwave.

Thanks
Joe
Sawyers Den

HappyJackP38

Re: Controller or Software Issues?

Post by HappyJackP38 »

Joe
I have just started setting up my shark as well, and I ran into simular problems, In reading the new install manual check to see if you downloaded the x86.exe and the new Control Panel #15. But before you do this
when setting up your computer after up dating the the 3.5 files did you run the up date firmware files, then install the x86.exe file, and then run the #15 control panel. Go back and make sure the cables are connected to the x, y,z, are as marked when you got the computer. also when you open the control panel look in the lower left corner of the panel and see it you got the connected and ready remarks,
There are several items on this foram about control issues you might read them for help as well.
If you are following the new install manuel you are in step #2 more or less. Tim Owens of Next Wave, seams to be remiss in providing information as to setting up the shark. The set up information for the Shark assumes everyone is savy to CNC procedures, I wish Rockler or Next Wave would be more responsive to these problems.
Also you might like to check the Vector.com\forum there is a lot of information over there.

Hope this helps
Jack

thoelscher

Firmware update not working

Post by thoelscher »

I've been working on getting my Shark to work for over a month now and have run into numerous problems. So I've decided to uninstall all the software, run a registry cleaner, etc. I have 2 laptops, and struggling to get either of them working. I have one with Windows 7 and the other with XP. I've followed all the installation instructions and downloaded all the files. When I try to update the Firmware, I get an error on the lower left stating, "Failed to connect... 1". Does anyone know what this means? I have the same error on both laptops. I do not have the Shark USB cable connected to the laptops when trying to update the Firmware. Could this be the problem? I am assuming it isn't because I'm expecting the application to be going out on the for this Firmware upgrade.

spinningwood

Re: Controller or Software Issues?

Post by spinningwood »

The "firmware" is on the controller. If you don't have the controller on and connected with the USB cable then you can't upgrade it. Not having the usb cable connecting the controller and computer sounds like your problem.

Ed