wierd scale issue??

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

TimAndonian

wierd scale issue??

Post by TimAndonian »

I am running code for the first time without the router on. I have a 8in x 2inch surface that I am carving a word on. The cut should start at about 2 inches(Y) and 1inch(x) and center the word oin the surface, but the head travels about 5 inches before starting the cut. It is orientated correctly and when it finishes it returns to the bottom left corner origin. In Vcarve, the tool path looks like what the shark is actually cutting, just at a larger scale.
I have taken care to set everything to inches, and the post processor is the correct CNC shark ARC inches.tap(whatever).

any ideas?

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: wierd scale issue??

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Tim,

Does the square-1in.tap file (found in /My Documents/CNC Shark/Samples) run as expected (should carve a 1in square - you can air cut this)?

If it does, I would check your VCarve Project for 2 things:

1) In the Job Setup, what origin did you select? Did you also select an origin offset? Did you set the XYZ0 on the Shark in the same location as in your Job Setup? The point you make about the gantry moving about 5 inches when you expect 2 is probably related to a mismatch here.

2) Double check to ensure that you in fact used the right post processor. Sometimes you can pick it, then inadvertently scroll or bump the arrow key immediately after you selected it, and it changed - but you didn't notice.

TimAndonian

Post by TimAndonian »

THanks Joe, I just ran the 1 in prog and it runs 2 inches. didn't really take note of that when I ran it before. now that I think of it, when I run my other test file, it is about twice as big.
I did re-check the other 2 things you mentioned. The starting point is correct based on how I have set up the work piece, and there is no offset. also I am using the correct processor.
thanks again for the quick response.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Tim,

I don't think it should matter, but have you run the Firmware Update program? It is in the same programs folder as the CNC Shark Control Panel. With the Control Panel closed, run this (your control box has to be powered on and you need the usb connection). After success, run the 1in tap file.

I've done a little looking around and can't find a post where you end up with this being twice as big - so if that remains the case, you may want to call NWA support for quickest resolution.

TimAndonian

Post by TimAndonian »

NWA determined the control box had the wrong software loaded in it. It had a model number of 403 rath than 402, whatever that means. They are sending shipping labels so I can send it back.