Not sure if I installed wrong or if I can't "see" file

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

sydgeo

Not sure if I installed wrong or if I can't "see" file

Post by sydgeo »

I installed from the CD and MAY need to reinstall because there was a delay in at least one program presenting the run window on the screen, so I may have executed them in the wrong order(drivers/control panel?) even though I thought I was following the steps as instructed. I'm trying to avoid this because I'm concerned about losing what I already created with Vcarve. So I want to find out whether the fact that I was able to run the 1 inch square test program rules out installation as the problem. I ran into trouble trying to do the "Bullshead" tutorial, because when I got to the point when it was time to go to the Control panel and load gcode, I couldn't find the file/toolpath I'd just created.

I also wanted to ask about the mention of ".NET Framework" that I've seen online and in the old version of the manual. All posts about this seem to be old, and perhaps apply to older versions of the machine/software. Is this something that I can ignore since I just purchased my machine?

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Not sure if I installed wrong or if I can't "see" file

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi -

Installing the Shark Control Panel software and associated drivers is separate from the VCarve installation.

If you were able to run the 1in square test on your Shark, then the Shark Control Panel and drivers are properly installed.

When you say you couldn't 'find' the toolpath you just created - the toolpath/.tap file you create is not the same as the VCarve project file. After you finished the project and toolpaths/preview/everything looks ok, did you perform a 'Save Toolpath', select the right post processor, and a location on disk to store/write the tap file? If you don't remember doing this, that may be why you couldn't find the tap file.

If you haven't already, download the Shark Owner's Manual from the NWA Downloads page. That contains the current set of instructions on installing the Shark software. Installing .NET is no longer required. The manual contains some other information you may find useful as a new owner.

sydgeo

Post by sydgeo »

I know that I (eventually) chose the post processor called something like CNCShark_USB_Arcs_inch. But not on my first attempt. The first time I must have tried whatever was at the top of the dropdown list beginning with an "A".(I'm not at the shop right now). I went through the whole process quite a few times to try to find my error. When I went to the control panel and pressed "Load Gcode", I returned to the same folder where I (thought) it had been stored, but it wasn't there.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Glad you got it resolved - if the job file doesn't end in .tap, the Shark Control Panel isn't going to 'show it' in a list.

sydgeo

Post by sydgeo »

Well, it's not really resolved yet.
Those are the steps I'd already done before my original post.
Today I'm going to meet someone with an even bigger machine who's been doing this for some time.
Hopefully I'll get it all cleared up.

But thanks for the response! I was glad to hear that I at least installed correctly.