1/2 Diameter Bits

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

cvguitars

1/2 Diameter Bits

Post by cvguitars »

Since the Bosch Colt has a 1/4 collet, and regular CNC end mills in 1/4" shank don't come larger than 1/4" diameter, is it possible to use a 1/2" diameter upcut spiral router bit with a 1/4" shank on the Shark? What about a 1/2" diameter core box bit to take the place of a ball nose endmill?
Larry

Tim Owens

Re: 1/2 Diameter Bits

Post by Tim Owens »

The reason you can get cnc end mills bigger than that is an endmill is not always designed for the high speed of a router. So all another larger cnc mills would take a larger shaft anyways. I would suggest you use normal common router bits if you have too but make sure you are not overloading the router if you are using a 2 flute straight router bit can creat alot of vibration. You can also look at a specially shop like Vortex bits.

Buc

Re: 1/2 Diameter Bits

Post by Buc »

Larry,

I have used a 3/8" core box bit with much success. I use it to machine pockets and mill. I haven't had the need to use one bigger but if the need should arise I would like to try a 1/2" two flute straight bit with 1/4" shank. I have used one on my bench router with pleasing results. With the core box bit the only fault I found was that you have a radius to deal with. Personally I hate endmills....(machinist by trade/retired early) You can also use the endmill to finish with and machine the radius out of your part. If you choose to use the 1/2" two flute, Start conservative in the tool data base on the pass depth, stepover, and feedrate. Depends on material hardness. Tim is right about the vibration comming from the endmills. I use core box bits to drill holes also.
Buc
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday