setting X0 and Y0

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

simja65

setting X0 and Y0

Post by simja65 »

When setting the x&y 0 points should I be using the center of the bit or the outer edge for best results?

4DThinker

Re: setting X0 and Y0

Post by 4DThinker »

The origin you set in VCarve/Aspire/whatever should match where you aligned the center of your bit on your actual material. Sometime it easier to align the edge of a bit, especially end mills though. I'll often use an offset when setting up material of .125 for X and .125 for Y from the bottom left corner. Then use a 1/4" end mill and simply touch the tip of the bit to the left and front side of my real material to set their respective X and Y zeros.

I find this capability one of the most useful "tricks" when trying to align new toolpaths to previous cuts, or cut/carve on unusual shapes. The origin can be anywhere, even outside of the material. Just be sure you zero the center of the bit to the exact same spot on your CNC relative to what you have clamped down as it is in the software.

4D
Last edited by 4DThinker on Sat May 02, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joethegasman

Post by joethegasman »

I like the above method and had not thought of it before. '

What I usually do is chuck up a v bit finger tight and set the X and Y coordinates where i want them, usually bottom left corner and then switch out to the end mill and set Z using the touch plate.

studio-n

Post by studio-n »

I like both methods described here. I guess it just depends what I'm working on.
=Nick
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner

John Shaw

Post by John Shaw »

Although a little pricey...
I got a laser center/edge finder about a year ago and use it all the time. It goes into the router like a bit (don't turn on the router). It projects a laser dot straight down the center line of the router chuck making it easy to position the router center line anywhere you want without touching anything. No guessing. No estimating. No math. Just position the dot where you want it and zero X and Y.
I also have used it to position boards when the alignment is super critical. For example, position it in X where you want and jog in Y moving back and forth in Y as I align the edge of the board and get it clamped.
I recently got the rotary axis and use the laser both for positioning the tailstock and for getting the application zeros set.
I have found it very handy.
http://www.lasercenteredgefinder.com/

simja65

Post by simja65 »

Thanks for the tips guys. Hadn't thought of the offset or using a V bit to line up with. Tried using the offset method and it worked fine. Still trying to learn how to do stuff with the shark. I even tried tiling this weekend and it worked out pretty well.