Ventilation ideas for CNC Shark Pro room?

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

klab

Ventilation ideas for CNC Shark Pro room?

Post by klab »

Hi,

We are setting up a CNC Shark Pro router for undergraduate students to use. This machine will incur heavy use, and so we are looking into ventilation options for the room. We would like to devise a system for clearing the dust and material generated from operating the router. Any suggestions? How are you ventilating the air in your space?

Thanks for your tips!

-- klab

spinningwood

Re: Ventilation ideas for CNC Shark Pro room?

Post by spinningwood »

It's always most efficient to control dust at the source whenever possible. With a lot of people working in the room, trying to extract dust after it's in the air is not optimal. Noise is also another possible issue. Constructing an enclosure for the shark with your shops dust collectors system hooked up to the enclosure would be a good solution for dust and noise.

The way I handle dust is to open the garage door, point a fan at the shark blowing out the door and let nature take care of the rest. I haven't found the shark to be a particularly "dusty" tool. If everything is setup right it produces small shaving more than dust. Lots and lots of shavings though. But the dust is nowhere near as bad as when I'm sanding a batch of turnings on the lathe.

Ed

tcooper

Re: Ventilation ideas for CNC Shark Pro room?

Post by tcooper »

Take a look at this post (http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65). I posted several photos of the dust collection solution I use. I have asthma and needed a dust collection solution that would for sure take care of the super fine saw dust particles and this setup does a great job with that.

My dust boot is hooked up to a 650 cfm Delta dust collector that also has decent filtration on it. I find that only a small amount of the very largest chips are left on my workpiece or work surface after running a carving job now.

Troy